Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifty Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Shifty Tranny

My AW4 has been awfully shifty. In low speeds it's shifting up and down constantly. I know it could just be inbetween gear speeds, but I'm not too familiar with how it should feel. Any ideas? I havn't changed the fluid or anything, what should I use? where is the drain / filler?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remember you have a 4 speed.. if your used to a 5 speed tranny yours has one gear less .. so that might be the difference you see.. if not.. well IDK, I cant quite understand what your saying...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Angler what you are feeling is not the tranny but the torque converter locking and unlocking. Believe it or not that is a function of the TPS on your throttle body on a Renix. Check and or replace yours and re-adjust it and your AW4 will be fine. (ask me how I know)

Last edited by BlueXJ; 09-11-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spellinz erers
Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay, so on wednesday I'm planning on having the tranny fluid and filter replaced. When I checked the fluid, it was topped up, but it had an old burnt smell to it. I'm thinking it is probably from day one and has never been changed. After I get this old stinky stuff changed, I'm going to look into the TPS to get the torque converter working properly. Will driving it like this for a while cause any trans/TC problems? Also, I was wondering what exactly that the power/comfort switch for the trans does. Does it just over-ride the TC, or just change the rev point?

Thanks again
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

i have a similar problem with my 89 xj, if i am coasting with my foot very lightly on the gas it seems like it downshifts to either neutral or a lower gear, as soon as i put my foot down again it shifts straight back into the same gear i was in.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

after looking into some prices, think I should go with a fluid and filter change, or a trans flush?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Renix Super Guru

If your AW4 has the burn smell to the fluid I would do nothing but a fluid change. You don't want to stir up stuff that may cause the need for more extensive repars.
BTW did you ever check the TPS like I suggested?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright, I'll get the fluid and filter changed then rather then a flush. I'll look in the book first to see if it's easy enough for me to tackle tomorrow. I havn't messed with the TPS yet. I'll look through the book to see if there's anything I can adjust on it / test, etc.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, the TPS bolts to the side of the throttle body and has elongated slots where the bolts go in, you loosen the bolts and twist the TPS to adjust it, you probe the wires that go into the TPS connector and measure the voltage, If i recall correctly you measure the voltage with the throttle wide open, you should have a certain voltage when fully open and adjusted right, if the correct voltage cannot be obtained then you should either replace the tps or repair the wiring harness as neccesary. I know this is correct for the 4 cyl motor and im pretty sure the same process is used for the 4.0
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Olivegreenxj
Someone correct me if I am wrong, the TPS bolts to the side of the throttle body and has elongated slots where the bolts go in, you loosen the bolts and twist the TPS to adjust it, you probe the wires that go into the TPS connector and measure the voltage, If i recall correctly you measure the voltage with the throttle wide open, you should have a certain voltage when fully open and adjusted right, if the correct voltage cannot be obtained then you should either replace the tps or repair the wiring harness as neccesary. I know this is correct for the 4 cyl motor and im pretty sure the same process is used for the 4.0
Yes it has been listed in the sticky area on Cherokee Chat and the whole procedure is laid out there. You need a t-15 Torxsdriver and a digital multimeter and a few minutes is all that is required.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I got to the first part of the tps test. When I had the tps unplugged and the ignition on the voltage between A (5v) and B (ground) is NEGATIVE (-10.4v)

Any idea?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Renix Super Guru

Read the procedure again angler. I don't think you need to unplug it, but it has been awhile since my last adjustment.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I cant figure out how to search the stickys. can you send the link for the adjustment?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Since I got the 4x4 switch working right, and new fluid into the trans. It seems to be shifting better (plus I'm getting used to it) I brought it to a ammco transmission to take it for a test and see what they though, and the guy thought that it felt fine. He said the fluid was "highly oxidized" and recommended to just keep changing it slowly to get new fluid into the system. So that's what I've been doing and it seems to be going well. If I see it acting up I'll check back into the TPS.

Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

if you do have to check the TPS don't unplug it. just turn the key to the on position and back probe the wires. its really easy. just make sure you don't unplug it or you won't get the right readings.

Quick Reply: Shifty Tranny