Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifter Shaft Alignment/Adjustment...? ['97 XJ, STOCK AUTO TRANS, 2WD]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default Shifter Shaft Alignment/Adjustment...? ['97 XJ, STOCK AUTO TRANS, 2WD]

Question...

My shifter shaft seems to be out of whack somewhere.. When in 'Drive' the orange indicator on the shift gate is a little further past its designated 'D'.. Also I cannot select '1-2', I'm guessing because I cannot get the shifter back far enough, due to the fact that when all the way back in the shift gate on the console, It will not go the extra 1/2 inch or so to engage '1-2' in the tranny..

Anybody have any idea of what I'm rambling on about..? lol....?

I thought maybe bushing @ first but the bushing connecting the linkage on the tranny to the cable has zero play & seems to be fine.. Where else can I adjust my shifter back into a position to fully engage all gears..?

Thanks..!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default Success...!!! Thanks to all for the input..!

Hey guys...

Here is how my morning went......

Check engine light came on again, so I coded it out.. Got the code P0700 - Trans Shifter ECU or something similar relating to an electronic component that tells the tranny to shift..

Went to my local tranny shop, locally owned & operated, East Coast Transmission's in Goose Creek, S.C.. Spoke with Gary the owner who took me out in my Jeep & seriously schooled me on this tranny which was invaluable.. He basically said that it was out of adjustment by about 3/4".. I was not able to drop into 1-2 & also would not shift into O/D.. Kick Down cable was fine & well in his words 'spot on'.. We lifted her, he did his thing & boom, tranny works perfect..

Paid the man $20 for his time & tipped him with a 20 deck of Camel Lights.. (All he wanted for payment) & the promise I made him of returning on Tues for a Trans Service @ $125.00...

My trans is now shifting beautifully & I am a happy camper..