Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shift Interlock Cable Adjustment HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
jor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Shift Interlock Cable Adjustment HELP

98 Cherokee

Back on my heater core project today and I need some help. I got the steering column back in. Snapped in all the column electrics and the shift interlock cable. Reattached other end of shift interlock cable and then reinstalled the ignition cylinder. Key won't come out. According to the FSM this means the shift interlock cable needs to be adjusted.

I'm trying to follow the FSM but I must be doing something wrong. The book says:
1. Turn ignition to lock position. I guess this is OFF.
2. With cable lock button released create 1 mm gap between shifter pawl and top of shift gate. (photo)I jammed a screwdriver where I think the gap should be.
3. Pull cable forward, (photo) then release cable and push cable lock back into place. I wasn't sure which way to pull the cable.

Once done, you aren't supposed to be able to push the shifter button down or move the shifter. I can still do both and the key won't come out. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
jor

Name:  1_zps1d5251bf.jpg
Views: 7132
Size:  111.7 KB
Name:  2_zps65c2a365.jpg
Views: 5348
Size:  80.3 KB
Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by jor
1. Turn ignition to lock position. I guess this is OFF.
I've never worked on one BUT! Off and lock are not the same. When mine was newer I needed to push the whole deal in, then turn it toward me one click to lock, (the steering), and remove the key. Hope that helps. Sounds frustrating!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 PM
jor

I needed to push the whole deal in, then turn it toward me one click to lock
Doesn't seem to work that way on mine. Just goes into accessories position. Thanks.
jor

I pulled the ignition again and note that I have the "lock" position when the cylinder is not installed or if the cylinder is installed and the ignition lock cable is not inserted. Pretty weird. I don't recall it ever having a "lock" position. Just acc/off/on/start.

Last edited by jor; 11-24-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Usually they are made so you can't just turn the key and have it lock. To dangerous! (cant have it accidentally being locked while you are driving). I have both a chevy and a ford that have a lever you need to push to get from off, to lock. The Jeep has no lever, you push in on it. Mine has long worn about out, but when I went to look before posting....it WAS a small spot between lock and off.

Edit. Really I guess "a small spot between off and accessory" would be more accurate. There should be four spots, Acc, lock, on, and start.

That's all I have to offer!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 11-27-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Too> To
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Mine does the same thing but only when cold. I haven't figure out mine yet so I can't really offer any help. But I didn't notice that if I removed the clip the pushed the cable forward it would release the key, but you could shift it with no key only bad thing, but you'll be able to deal with it later. And it also started doin that when I replace my dash. I wonder if I don't have the cable sitting in a different position and its too loose.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
.it WAS a small spot between lock and off.
We hope you post up what you found so anyone finding this thread in the future might learn something.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM
jor

We hope you post up what you found so anyone finding this thread in the future might learn something.
Sure will. Haven't found a solution but I'm buying a new ignition cylinder and give that a try. Haven't run into this before so I'm guessing.
jor
Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
jor

Default SOLUTION

Guessed right on the shift interlock cable issue. My ignition switch was probably the original and I couldn't find the "lock" position. In order to adjust the cable according to the FSM, the key must be in the lock position. I bought a replacement ignition switch, installed it and performed the adjustment according to the instruction. Good to go.
jor