Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shift Gate Swap (231 to 242) Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Shift Gate Swap (231 to 242) Question

I have a 242 (Select Trac) under the 94 XJ from the previous owner doing a swap (surprise to me) but a 231 (Command Trac) shift gate, shift lever, bezel, etc. in the cab that was original.

I found a shift gate and bezel online for the 242 but my questions are from your experience:

1. Will the existing 231 lever work with a 242 shift gate?

2. Is the opening the same for the 231/242 bezel or will some fabrication have to happen to put the new bezel in the console?

3. Any tips on how to do the shift gate swap assuming the first two questions are favorable? The seller said the gate he's selling is only the metal "guide".

Thanks for the help,
Frank
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The bezel fits for sure. I believe you can use the same lever.
Not sure if you HAVE to change the gate. I saved one from a 242 parts Jeep I had just in case I wanna put the 242 in my Comanche some day.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Good info, thanks. I would like to swap the gate so I feel good about having it secure in the TC selection I want it in. Plus, with the 231 gate there, I can only get it in 4 of the 5 selections now.

So if anyone (or you) has done that swap, is it a pretty straight forward gate change?

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Year: 1998

In case you haven’t done this yet…
I went out and measured them both, they are
different. (gates not lever, levers look the same)
Looks to be an easy swap that will work.
Might be able to do without pulling the console, not for sure on that.

Pop the bezel off, remove only the 2 bolts that hold the shift gate down, pull the hair pin clip off the end of shifter lever, take the spring out of the middle of the lever, and work the lever out.

Let me know if you can do it without pulling the console.

Last edited by ikenchute; 08-10-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM

frsmith2

I have the identical situation as you described. Have a 98 XJ that has a Command Trac notice sticker behind the drivers side sunshade flap. Have a "build sheet that says" Command Trac T.C. Have a Command Trac shifter and floor bezel.

But went under it in order change the T.C. lube oil and low and behold, the circular tag affixed to the T.C. says it's a NV242J.

My cabin shifter and bezel are also Command Trac. My question is, am I not getting the 242 into 4WD Low on the Select Trac T.C. because that is the most rearward selection ? Said another way, when my shifter is in the rearmost position marked 4 Low on the 231 bezel (the 4th position back) am I actually in Neutral on the 242 T.C.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM

ikenchute...great info on gate removal, thanks. Just got back in town so I haven't looked at it yet. Plan on taking on tomorrow evening or Saturday and will let you know.

Webb'scherokee...glad I'm not alone here. I too can't get it into what should be 4L. I pulled the lever as far back as it would let me and pushed the Jeep while in park. Axles were clearly dis-engaged as she moved freely so I know that's the neutral spot.

Other than wanting it to be right, that's why I'm inquiring about the shift gate swap as I assume with that and any adjustments to the linkage, we should be in good shape with all 5 selections.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Actually, one who has a NV242 swapped into a previous NP231 vehicle could use their existing 231 shift gate if it were modified to accomodate the extra gear selection that the 242 provides.

What one would have to do is lengthen the slot that the lever travels in. the extra lever travel needs to be at the rearward (towards the bumper) end of the 231 gate in order to pick up (select) 4 LO on the 242 T.C.

As it stands with the 231 gate plate, and the shift lever all the way to the rear, the 242 T.C. is in "Neutral". The modification cut with a Dremel tool to lengthern the slot then allows the 242 to reach "4WD Lo".

I'm not going to modify my 231 shift gate plate, preferring instead to visit my Salvage yard today to buy the 242 shift gate. That way I know the dimensions are correct from the get go.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM

you could modify it, but it looks to be a real quick swap, if you can do it without pulling the console.
i just happen to have shifters for each setting on my work bench, waiting to swap out a 242 for a 231w/sye.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

just pulled mine apart...
ya can't do it without pulling the console
has 3 bolts not 2 like i first said
easy to do if you have the seats out, but you don't have to pull them.
quick to do, linkage will adjust.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Very helpful, thanks. Now I have to address the leaks on the 242.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:26 PM

From actual experience gathered today at the salvage yard.

I think it's been said already, that the shift gate that was designed for use with the NV242 is a "must have" in a NP231 vehicle if you want to be able to access all five selections available with the NV242.

Next, there are in fact three screws retaining the shift gate plate in the donor vehicle.

There is a problem that one needs to be aware of and which has not been mentioned. The above material would make one believe that it's a half-hour proposition. Not so ! The reason being, the three screws which retain the shift gate pate, as are the remaing screws that hold the shifter pivot, are all small fine thread overly long screws with a 8MM hex head. Had they been sheet metal screws they would come right out. However, the way this was manufactured and assembled is, the floor pan had the patter layed out and the holes were driller. Then there is an insert with a female thread placed into each of the pre-drill holes. The inserts appear to be retained in the body floor by some sort of "pop rivet" grip, but I don't know for sure just now how that was done at the factory.

The result of what I've just told you is, when you're in the cabin every thing looks and seems great. Wrong ! When you place your 8 MM socket on the hex head screw and rachet counter-clock wise you give it 3-5 revolutions and there is no resistance, but the screw in not backing out. In other words, the thread insert simply rotates in it's drilled hole and around and around everything goes.

At this point you need a second person under the vehicle in order to hold the insert if you can reach them. There is no hex on the insert, it's just a straight tube and if you use vise-grips you run the risk of collapsing the insert tighter around the screw thread.

I can show you tomorrow what the screws and inserts look like. Most of mine are all buggered up and I don't plan to use them in my conversion work. I haven't talked to the dealer parts guy about if they are available. I need to look up and give him a number.

Other concerns, Yes you can use your 231 shifter but it has to come out of your vahicle in order to replace the gate plate.

It sound simple coming from some one who hasn't done it. I spent + 2hrs today by my self and could only do the removal because I took it out of a savlage Jeep that already had the NV242 T.C. removed.

As a side note, these NV242 Cherokees are quite hard to find as donors. I probably looked at 24-28 XJ's before I found the one I worked on. Everything else had the NP231 in them.

Let me know if you have questions.

Webb
Old 08-13-2011, 05:42 PM

The parts that I purchased were all from a 1999 Cherokee "Classic". It was a great XJ in it's day and fully loaded with an electric sun roof, cruise control, upgraded stereo and interior and so forth. If you are looking for a NV242 to swap into your XJ, the Classics are probably where you'll find the 242 T.C.'s

Shift lever with rubber grip panel
T.C shift rod (adjustable)
Shift Gate Plate
Shift lever mounting pocket with Pivot Pin
Lever Spring
Lever retaining pin
242 Indicator bezel

This is every thing that is in the cabin, but not all of it needs to be replaced. I believe you can do the conversion with just the Shift Gate Plate and the Floor mounted indicator bezel. I bought the other parts for extras and to compare with my NP231 parts just to verify the fit on the 242 parts in place of the 231 parts.

I also looked for the electrical connector that mates up to the 242 (the larger 3 wire connector), but it had already been removed.

Last edited by webb'scherokee; 08-14-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM

quick to do,

How much time is "quick to do" ?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM

Very helpful. Great write up.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM

i did mine in less than 1 hour, the nuts you speak of are riv-nuts.
aluminum nut inserts that are compressed on installation in the floor pan. if done correctly and not over tightened when installed there shouldn’t be a problem.
i’ve taken 2 out at the jy 1 for a 242 and 1 for a 231.
i changed the shift gate out of my xj that had a 242 to a 231 mine were tight in the floor pan and i had no problem removing the bolts.

Quick Reply: Shift Gate Swap (231 to 242) Question