Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

She sags in the butt now

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default She sags in the butt now

After adding my Detours bumper/carrier and the heavy *** spare, my Cherokee has a noticeabe sag in the rear end. Let me hear some options for the fix, and why you think that's the best option. I really don't want to trash my rear springs and I want to regain the lost clearance, so I gotta act soon.

The original lift:
Rear - Old Man Emu 3" springs, plus their full length AAL & 1" JKS shackles.
Front - OME 3" springs plus 2" spacers

I can't figure out how to do a poll, so here are the options:
1) Completely new RE or Black Diamond 5.5" lift springs, front & rear (and who would buy my OME lift? )
2) New 5.5" spring pack for the rear, worry about the front if I add a front bumper
3) New 5.5" spring pack for the rear, ACOS for the front
4) Another OME full length AAL for 1" more lift (it's been done)
5) Longer shackles
6) Any other options?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

might want to look into a set of these im thinking of getting a set for mine from what i hear they have some great products
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...relocation-kit
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
After adding my Detours bumper/carrier and the heavy *** spare, my Cherokee has a noticeabe sag in the rear end. Let me hear some options for the fix, and why you think that's the best option. I really don't want to trash my rear springs and I want to regain the lost clearance, so I gotta act soon.

The original lift:
Rear - Old Man Emu 3" springs, plus their full length AAL & 1" JKS shackles.
Front - OME 3" springs plus 2" spacers

I can't figure out how to do a poll, so here are the options:
1) Completely new RE or Black Diamond 5.5" lift springs, front & rear (and who would buy my OME lift? )
2) New 5.5" spring pack for the rear, worry about the front if I add a front bumper
3) New 5.5" spring pack for the rear, ACOS for the front
4) Another OME full length AAL for 1" more lift (it's been done)
5) Longer shackles
6) Any other options?
I'm in the same boat. I have OME HD rear springs with OME AAL and 2" RC shackles and 3" HD coils and a spacer up front. They are sagging due to the weight of all the skids and winch I added. I spoke with dirk and he said I should be running two AAL's considering all the weight i threw on it so he ordered me up another pair and will ship em on the 11th. They are out of stock i believe. He sells DPG 5" leaf springs which I wanted to try but they are out of stock too. I guess they are popular.

Forget the longer shackle. The 2" shackles i have here are flattening my rear springs. It was something dirk recommended not using and I should've listened to him.

I'm not familiar with 5.5" black diamond springs but can they be had for a good deal? How much lift do you want front and rear?

About your ome lift, PM Belto cuz he wants mine and probably would take yours in an instant.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

I love Dirk. He is the man. He gave me a ton of advice when I was lifting too. And I got all my JKS stuff from him as well. (I should call him ...) But I'm wondering if 2 AAL's won't make the rear too stiff, and less flexy?

I don't really know what size Black Diamond kits are, I just know their stuff is great quality & I want 5.5" to allow for weight. I'd prolly even out at about 4.75" or so.

I would be looking to sell the OME kit, but shipping to PR for Belto might be a deal killer. Anyway, right now I'm still doing research.

jd4x426, those are a great option, also suggested to me on another forum. I'll definitely be looking more at those.

Any more ideas out there?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM

if you are looking to still have flex for offroad i dont recomend 2 aal it will get your lift back but it will also hurt your flex
Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Alcan Springs, hand made custom springs.

http://www.alcanspring.com/
Old 07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

station wagon, if you decide you want to sell your OME lift, send me a PM, cause i could buy it up pretty soon, and it's exactly what i'm looking for.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jd4x426
if you are looking to still have flex for offroad i dont recomend 2 aal it will get your lift back but it will also hurt your flex
Don't mistake the OME AAL as a regular AAL. It's a bit different. It increases your spring rate 20% and nets about an inch but doesn't firm up the springs too much like the 1/2" thick super cheap AAL's out there. It's pretty much a copy of the main leaf of the OME leaf packs. When I added my AAL, i didn't notice any firmness but i did get a little bit more height. The springs now are super flexy cuz they are very soft. With two, which I will be doing, it should lift it more and maybe add just a little more firmness, which she and I both need due to the weight that's sagging the springs. I'm pretty sure the outcome of a double-OME-AAL pack would be very similar to the BD full 5.5" pack or any full pack out there.

Does anyone know how many leaves are in the black diamond leaf pack?

Last edited by muddeprived; 07-02-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 AM

the problem with getting bigger springs and still wanting flex is that the more arch the spring has the less flex it will be able to give you if you look at the good lift kits they will give you like a 4" lift spring and a 1" shackle to keep the spring arch at a managable level which to me is what you want a good lift that will flex good and hold up over time the rubicon express system is an awsome lift my friend just got done installing the 5.5" kit and that thing flexes very well never had any experience with the black diamond kits cant even find a 5.5" lift spring from them
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

the problem with getting bigger springs and still wanting flex is that the more arch the spring has the less flex it will be able to give you if you look at the good lift kits they will give you like a 4" lift spring and a 1" shackle to keep the spring arch at a managable level which to me is what you want a good lift that will flex good and hold up over time the rubicon express system is an awsome lift my friend just got done installing the 5.5" kit and that thing flexes very well never had any experience with the black diamond kits cant even find a 5.5" lift spring from them
Yeah I can't seem to find any info on the BD springs. All I see are 3" springs.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

might want to look into a set of these im thinking of getting a set for mine from what i hear they have some great products
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...relocation-kit
This is the option first I would be putting serious thought into, second would be a set of Alcan or deaver springs, if you have the $$.

Do you remember what pack you have, JC1A, B, other? I currently have the JC1A pack and was thinking about adding the extra leaf and the JKS shcackles and was curious as to how it rode, compared to when it was just the pack. I like the way it rides now very much but wouldn't mind it being a little stiffer. Do those schackles really net an inch?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by muddeprived
Yeah I can't seem to find any info on the BD springs. All I see are 3" springs.
Muddy I said the BD brand because I have heard very good things about them. I really don't know what size springs they offer. I'll do the actual research if I decide to go the route of a full pack.

raypla I do not remember which set I have ... whichever gave 3" lift over stock.

ltlgreenXJ ... I'll remember that!