Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Shaking when slowing down!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Shaking when slowing down!! HELP!

Ok, I thought maybe I had finally found someone out there who had the same issues as me, but no luck I have an 04 GC (special edition) my car shakes when i slow down (not when I hit the brakes necessarily, even when i just take my foot off the gas) the RPMs drop FAST and it starts shaking. When I accelerate it makes a tiny whistling noise(?) I am more concerned with the shaking right now. I just came back from the shop today and had all new brake pads and rotors put on and had my UV joint replaced because it was bad, it still does it. Please help if you can. This is the only car me and my husband have and we are both military. I am going in soon to have a ball joint in the rear replaced because they told me it was the reason my UV joint went bad..does this sound right?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by brandi d
Ok, I thought maybe I had finally found someone out there who had the same issues as me, but no luck I have an 04 GC (special edition) my car shakes when i slow down (not when I hit the brakes necessarily, even when i just take my foot off the gas) the RPMs drop FAST and it starts shaking. When I accelerate it makes a tiny whistling noise(?) I am more concerned with the shaking right now. I just came back from the shop today and had all new brake pads and rotors put on and had my UV joint replaced because it was bad, it still does it. Please help if you can. This is the only car me and my husband have and we are both military. I am going in soon to have a ball joint in the rear replaced because they told me it was the reason my UV joint went bad..does this sound right?
Take it back to the shop and tell them it didnt do this before they had it and get them to atleast figure out whats wrong with it.......
Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Ummm, Unless you have 4 wheel steering there are no ball joints in the rear, and no you don't have 4 wheel steering.

The shaking could be a number of things but we need more info. Go out to a country road where the is no traffic and recreat the problem to see what you can learn. Hit the brakes soft, hit them hard, don't hit them at all, shift to neutral, shift to neutral and turn off the engine (Warning : you will lose power steering and brakes and if you don't turn the key back to the run position the steering wheel will lock), try it in reverse. Try everything you can think of and get back to us. It's hard to diagnose something over the internet so we need as much info as possible.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Year: 1990

The 99 to 04 Grand Cherokee does have ball joints in the rear. I doubt that is your problem though. It sounds more like a u joint in the drive shaft.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Yea, it most definitely does have a ball joint in the rear :P sorry lmao. I dont know why it does and others don't, but I already ordered the part and it says it is for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.7L V8 Engine..am I missing something? I have my father stuck on this one as well and he has worked on cars for 15 years. He thinks maybe I got a bad tire since it didn't start until a week after my new tires were put on. I will keep everyone posted. I am going to the Firestone today to have them check all of my tires.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 AM

Year: 2001

Rotate and balance your tires. I had the exact same issue and it went away for the most part after putting new tires on. I still get a slight bit of shake when I slow down at 50mph. I used to get a bad shake at that speed and when accelarating between 50 and 55.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 AM

The tires are brand new, but I am now hearing all of the bad reviews about the Firestone here on base..I took it in this morning and told them to check all of the tires and make sure they are balanced correctly. I will post what happens! fingers crossed..
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Just came back to work....the ORDER NOTES on the slip they gave me says " INSPECTED VEHICLE, VERIFIED VIBRATION, CHECKED TIRES, ALL ARE OK. RACKED AND INSPECTED DRIVELINE, FOUND DRIVE LINE AT COUPLER WITH EXCESSIVE PLAY, RECOMMENDED A DEALER TO CUSTOMER TO HAVE REBUILT"

Does anyone know how to dumb this down for me?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Loose driveshaft.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

Expensive? Easy to figure out to do? Is it something maybe my husband can figure out from a manual?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Mention Carrier Bearing, DriveShaft U Joint, Minorly Stripped Splines, Balance Weights, or front drive shaft weld, if he doesnt answer immediately or gives you a funny look. Bring it to a professional.

Last edited by Diesel; 10-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM

LMAO..Your right, hes from NYC..(no offense to anyone from there) but he can barely drive a damn car, much less fix one..what was I thinking? He just about puts me in the floorboard when he breaks lmao. I really appreciate everyone's help with this. Now if someone can help me find a good condition drive shaft that should fix my problem..
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Year: 1999

It seems they are talking about the ujoint(s) on the front or rear drive shafts. If so, those are super easy to replace. Your husband can check them himself and see, just move the drive shaft(s) up/down side to side by the ujoints and see if they have play in them.

Last edited by imthehink; 10-07-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

No he said it is in the front. I had the U Joint in the rear replaced yesterday.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by imthehink
It seems they are talking about the ujoint(s) on the front or rear drive shafts. If so, those are super easy to replace.
To someone without a automotive background, reading this could almost be as bad as trying to read a dead language. And its not necessarily the U Joint. The GC's drive shaft welds fail more often than not over time, the way the description is worded can mean more than just a u joint.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5852907_chan...t-u_joint.html

Quick Reply: Shaking when slowing down!! HELP!