Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shackles vs. Add A Leafs?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Shackles vs. Add A Leafs?

After searching for the past couple of months I came across a set of Rubicon Moab 16" wheels with 245/75/16s this weekend and snatched them up. Even though I knew they probably wouldn't fit my stock suspension I put them on anyway cause I was so excited, and sure enough they rubbed in the rear fender flares when I went over bumps. I was planning on waiting to put a lift on till this summer, but now I can't wait.

I've decided to go with a 2" BB for affordability, and becuase after looking at other rigs online I prefer the stance of a 2" with this wheel and tire set up. Its my daily driver, so I'm primarily intersted in looks, affoardablity, and reliablity. At first I planned on ordering a lift with Add a Leafs, but the Shackles look so much easier to put on, and as it is the middle of winter in Indianapolis, I'd prefer to spend the least amount of time possible on the cold ground.

So what's the trade offs from AAL's to Shackles? I'm a TJ guy so I've never used either in my past lifting experience. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

aal ride like crap and either break over time or sag out....better off going with the shackles........wont have any of the above problems and will help with pinion angle.

shackles can be a pain to put on compared to aal's though....make sure too use penetrating oil on any of the bolts that will be coming off for a few days before. the rear shackle bolts can be a huge PITA to get out sometimes.

Last edited by xjbones; 01-19-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about going with Rusty's 2"BB, any advice?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjbones
aal ride like crap and either break over time or sag out....better off going with the shackles........wont have any of the above problems and will help with pinion angle.

shackles can be a pain to put on compared to aal's though....make sure too use penetrating oil on any of the bolts that will be coming off for a few days before. the rear shackle bolts can be a huge PITA to get out sometimes.
Shackles will HURT your pinion angle and require you to need shims. honestly to get 2" of lift just get the AAL. Its less work than shackles and chances are you're gonna go bigger before you get serious sagging issues....or you'll using the sagging as an excuse to go bigger. When you do go up to 4.5"(the next step up I see you going to) get 3" leaf packs and 1.5" shackles to reach that 4.5" height, not only will it flex better but it'll ride better down the road too
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

you are totally right on the pinion angle......my head isnt quite straight latley, so thanks for catching that. i still disagree with aal....they just suck......and also if you do eventually go up to 4.5'', those aal's will go in the trash...as where if you use shackles, they will be getting used again in your next lift saving money cause thats a part you already bought.

any 2'' bb is very similar in design. none really better than other. kinda like...take your pick.

we all on here have different opinions.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm probably not going to go bigger than 2", this is a daily driver and most of my offroading consists of seasonal roads/trails to get to hunting grounds, trailheads, and flyfishing rivers. I really like the 2" stance with these wheels and tires.

I was sold on the shackles, but if it is going to hurt my pinion angle then I'm definitely going with an AAL.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM

when i did 2" inch shackles i had to cut the exhaust pipe, cant remember why tho. I cut it off right after the axle.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Year: 2000

Just buy 2" front coils and get some blocks to put in the back. that's how mine was set up until i bought a 3". i still have my old set up for sale. $80.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

On my first XJ I did 2" spacers up front and shackles in back, and everything was perfect. My father-in-law went with spacers and 2" blocks and has been happy with that as well. Most people balk at blocks, but with the kind of use you're looking at you will be fine, and it will retain your stock ride for your DD.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

My initial plan was blocks, but after reading so many threads with people complaining about how bad XJ springs are that blocks cause severe axle wrap I decided against it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Burgy
I'm probably not going to go bigger than 2", this is a daily driver and most of my offroading consists of seasonal roads/trails to get to hunting grounds, trailheads, and flyfishing rivers. I really like the 2" stance with these wheels and tires.

I was sold on the shackles, but if it is going to hurt my pinion angle then I'm definitely going with an AAL.
After thinking about it...get shackles and some shims to set your pinion angle straight...and stay away from the AAL and NEVER use blocks

Originally Posted by sexy_hotfootball_stud00
Just buy 2" front coils and get some blocks to put in the back. that's how mine was set up until i bought a 3". i still have my old set up for sale. $80.
Originally Posted by 4Doors
On my first XJ I did 2" spacers up front and shackles in back, and everything was perfect. My father-in-law went with spacers and 2" blocks and has been happy with that as well. Most people balk at blocks, but with the kind of use you're looking at you will be fine, and it will retain your stock ride for your DD.
Please don't suggest using blocks, even if your XJ only resides on the street they can still cause problems. I've seen and heard of them causing leaf springs to shear, breaking u-bolts and u-joints and generally just causing lost of hassle.
Blocks are just a plain bad idea, an AAL or shackles is much smarter. Especially if you get aluminum blocks and they split in half one day and then you're stuck on the side of the road and need a tow. an AAL or shackle won't do that to you.

If you want to get into the price factor...how can you afford to do it wrong the first time with blocks, and THEN go and do it the right way if they fail
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
After thinking about it...get shackles and some shims to set your pinion angle straight...and stay away from the AAL and NEVER use blocks
Thanks, I'm guessing I would only need 2 degree shims?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

or, would a tcase drop do the same thing?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks, I'm guessing I would only need 2 degree shims?
I don't know, you'd have to see once you actually got the shackles on

or, would a tcase drop do the same thing?
potentially, it depends how much your pinion angle is off by
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

get shackles. but listen to the tip about the penetrating oil. Sometimes the top bolt on the stock shackle is rusted or seized up. If so then you have to cut a square out of the floor in the rear floor cargo area to get at the nut (from the top side) thats inside the frame rail. If the bolt comes out nice then you will be fine and it will be easy!