Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Serpentine belt/Idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt/Idler pulley

My question is relatively simple when compared to some of the other modifications I've read about on this forum:

Is changing the serpentine belt on a 1995 I6 4.0 XJ 4x4 as simple as releasing the tension at the PS pump, removing the old belt and then installing the new one? What about swapping out an idler pulley? Remove the old and install the new? Is it really that simple?

I bought my Jeep in 2002 with 54,000 miles and it now has 121,000 miles. After replacing the clutch and release bearing last week (to the tune of $1000; probably replaced the original), I have a feeling that alot of the "little" things are going to start to need replacing. While I'm moderately mechanically inclined, I am not capable of intensive procedures. I own a Haynes manual and have used it to help my replace other small things (plugs, wires, etc.), but Haynes seems to simplify the methods actually involved in some routine items.

This isn't an "off-road" truck (i.e., it's never going to have a huge lift with massive tires to go crawling), but it does see "jeep" trails. Its primary function is as a "daily" driver (I walk and ride my bike quite a bit) and when I move to Bozeman will be trout fishing machine. I LOVE my Jeep and plan on it lasting for the duration of my PhD program and hopefully for several more years.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

It should be that easy. I've found that Haynes has really good instructions and if you follow them most of the time you can't go wrong. I'm sure that some people/ better mechanics might know an easier way but Haynes has never let me down so far.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

I'm not 100% sure about a 95, but I'm running a 97 same setup and yeah, its all plug and play.

Quick peice of advice - get a breaker bar for the end of the ratchet. Having a longer bar makes it soooo much easier. Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by drakan1908
It should be that easy. I've found that Haynes has really good instructions and if you follow them most of the time you can't go wrong. I'm sure that some people/ better mechanics might know an easier way but Haynes has never let me down so far.
Haynes is a very good source of information, however they do have a habbit of over-simplifying things. If you use it as a guide and not a word for word story, you'll be set.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Haynes is a very good source of information, however they do have a habbit of over-simplifying things. If you use it as a guide and not a word for word story, you'll be set.
haha Yea, simple is a good thing for me..