Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Serious Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate
Exclamation Serious Issue

The Jeep has been running without issue for months. All that has ended. She had trouble turning over and once she is running the other day, the engine shook side to side and had kind of a hot metal smell. And while driving she lost her get up and go.
Here's the catch. The codes are reading misfire in 1 and 5, also system is running too rich AND too lean. To fix the issue I started small, went with some Lucas injector cleaner and 6 new Champion Platinum plugs. She turned over on the first try and started running like a champ. I drove to my auto parts store of choice and cleared the codes using their scan tool. Then drove home with no issue. Overnight the Jeep Gods frowned that I have ability to fix my Jeep instead of paying someone to fix it... Because now... the miss is back and the engine shakes. It sounds like she is falling apart. BTW - no ping, no tick, just sounds like a dieing cow. Some other info that may help, the old plugs were carbon coated but normal wear, and when I started her up, wonderful black carbon like stuff came out the exhaust. It did not smell or taste like oil (before someone asks) I have worked on cars for a good while and have a pretty good grasp on things...but this has me stumped. I thought maybe MAF sensor maybe something worse? Please help me with any insight or suggestions.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 IL6

have you checked your distributor cap or rotor.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate

Originally Posted by jdf2010
have you checked your distributor cap or rotor.
this, i have not done yet. The cap and the arm were replaced about a year ago. But I will check it.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 IL6

that would be my first thing to check out just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Exclamation Serious Problem continues

This is rather inclusive, bare with me!

Just a reminder, this kinda started out of the blue one day with no real provocation

The cap and rotor appear to be in relatively good condition.

Here are some other things i have noticed most recently and may be a repeat of stated in first part of this posting, I would like some constructive feedback pls.

This all started with what i consider a bad tank of gas. The engine was running like a lawnmower with light smoke when pressing accelarator. First thought was head gasket. HOWEVER, there is no milky coolant. There is a moist exhaust but after a paper test- its cabon and water NOT oil, also confirmed by 2 parts stores. The blower fan is working but no heat is coming out of the vents. (and YES the slider was set to HEAT, you could hear the flap open and close as well)
The vacuum system doesn't seem to have much pulling power
When I had to limp it home @ 3 am that morning on the interstate, she wouldn't do over 45 and when you let off the accelerator it would kinda jerk alittle
I should mention the engine temp and oil were just slightly over normal, which leads me to think it might not be quite as bad as it all sounds
The dash displays where all rather dim/as were the head lights - i have a red top optima battery though i have never replaced the alternator since taking ownership.
A while back i noticed i might have crushed the AC hose that runs along the right side of the engine (a pretty good reason I dont have AC, currently)
Also I've been battling the engine temps for a while, see below. Most recently the jeep will key on, radio works fine, no dimming of overhead lamp, but it will not turn over.

new parts that have been added prior to any issues i am currently having
(all things listed here have been working fine for almost 4 months before this current issue):
radiator,water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, distributor rotor, starter, CPS, flexplate, tires