Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Serious Idle/Acceleration Stuttering Issues

Old 07-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Serious Idle/Acceleration Stuttering Issues

Hey everybody I;m running into some issues with my 97 XJ. About a week ago I noticed that my idle was rather rough, it would dip down and kick back up, but this happened only intermittently. It was never too sever. One of these times it also stuttered a little when accelerating. I started by replacing my spark plugs and plug wires, but this did not do much so I cleaned my IAC and throttle body. The issue did seem to go away, but today it got came back, badly.
I took a 1 hour trip this morning with no issues, but later I went out and it was severely stuttering when idling and when accelerating, and seemed too have a pretty substantial loss of power. The tach was jumping all over the place. The check engine light came on and the code read a bad TPS so I went out and got a new one of those, but it hasn't helped the issue. Also, the exhaust smells quite a bit like gas. Both times I started it up today after letting it sit for a while it seemed fine for the first 5-10 minutes. If anyone could point me in the direction of what I should do next, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Model: Cherokee

Bump/Update/More Info

Started her up today, idled fine for about 30 seconds and ran fine around the neighborhood for 2 minutes but as soon as I turned on to a road it started a bit during acceleration, then got worse. Same stuttering, badly when at idle and accelerating and noticeable when maintaining speed above 30 mph. Very,very rough idle when I got home after about 15 minutes of driving, smelled a lot like gas. Also, when first I started up the revs jumped up higher than usual and the sound was a bit off until I put it in reverse.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Update

Hey man I just had the same problem with mine, I just buttoned it up after doing a full gasket kit and it was running fine then sputtering so bad I could barely go 10 feet and randomly my Speedo jumped all the way around.... what did you end up doing to fix your problem.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Well, that was 3 years ago, and he hasn't posted anything in the last year and a half, so I'm thinking it would make more sense to start your own thread, tell us the specifics of your Jeep, and describe your problem, what led up to it, and anything you have already done to try to troubleshoot it.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I had similar issues and changed the IAC and TPS I had the CEL code for the IAC and not the TPS tho. After changing both parts it was still running like garbage, my buddy told me to reset the computer. After I did the reset the jeep runs great.