Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sell my tranny while its still good and buy AX15?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default sell my tranny while its still good and buy AX15?

i came across the guy i got my jeep from the other day at lowes... he just so happened to be with the guy he got it from and that guy did all the work to it... i knew it had a 96 motor... and the tranny and xfer case looked clean as could be... and he confirmed it... said he rebuilt the Peugot tranny and tranfer case when he installed the 96 motor... so my questions is... since they are harder to come by the average joe would be looking for this tranny to fix there DD... should i sell it as rebuilt with some miles and ready to roll and find me a AX15 now (hopefully around the same price)... or should i wait till this ones tears up... scrap it and then fine me a AX15 out of pocket later? i know these trannys are said to be junk and i dont want any weak links if i can help it... thanks for the input folks!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I pondered the idea of putting in an ax15 in place of my aw4,until about a week ago,I had to get some rotors and noticed that the jy had a couple of almost new 89s and others setting in the yard. As it turns out the jys are getting all of the clunkers and selling parts from them. I am going to snag me another aw4 that has only 130K on it and the owner has many more coming in,I am also going to snag me an ax15 as soon as one comes in,I see about 2 a year and now I think there will be more. My point is I would watch the local jy close,I only pay $85 for them.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

i would so do it if i could find one like that... with the external slave cylinder though... who can tell me what years they came in with the external slave cylinder? i forgot... i think the ax15 HAD to come from a XJ too... which makes it realy hard to come by... something about the bolt patterns for the xfer case or something like that? but then wouldnt matter cause i gotta change the xfer case out too anyways cause the spline count...