Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Security and theft deterrents

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl
Default Security and theft deterrents

So one of my xj's got broke into last night and they stole my deck. I was wondering what kind of anti theft devices people have come up with besides an alarm. Any pics or info would be great. I know I could buy a car alar, but I also want to see other ways people have done it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Well, I suppose you could leave rattlesnakes crawling on the dash, or place welded wire mesh over all the glass so that breaking a window doesn't help them get in.

Seriously though, the biggest part of security involves increasing the likelihood of getting caught, or making it such a pain in the butt that it's better for a criminal to find an easier target.

I would suggest getting an alarm that has a very obvious visual indicator. Think very bright blinking light. I would also suggest getting a head unit with a removable face... and then making sure to remove the face. Are your windows tinted? Not being able to easily see what's inside is also a deterrent.

NRA stickers and your local county sheriffs association stickers on the windows help too
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

The stereo that I have actually has a blinking red light when the faceplate is removed. Works great. You can make a blinking LED with some know how amd Google.
I personally suggest an alarm though. My '87 Ranger was broken into, doing $2100 worth of damage for a $100 CD player. After the body shop was done, a call to Crutchfield and 2 days later a new Viper alarm was installed. And now i get a discount on my car insurance!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

They somehow got in through the driver door, so no broken glass. The deck does have a blinking.light but this night my wife happened to have left it on. Windows are not tinted also. I was trying to see if people have ever ran a dummy factory deck than relocated the aftermarket one.

Here's my plans for the next couple weeks:

-Limo tint entire truck
-possible deck relocation
-Aftermarket 2 way pager alarm
-Also add a few blinking l.e.d.'s around the truck.

Any other tips? I work in a lube/tire shop and saw a Guy rigged his truck up to only start when you push in on the cigarette lighter. Thought that was pretty cool.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Any other tips?"

I guess you don't live in Texas, this stuff works every time. Seriously, park in an accessable well lit area if someone wants your stuff, it's gone but they don't want to get busted (or dead) doing it. FWIW, Tinted glass & what not makes it look like you have stuff worth stealing.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

I know you said your glass wasn't broken, but as far as removing that as an option, you could always use somehing like this:

http://www.solarx.com/residential/sa...ecurity/ultra/

It's developed to protect glass during hurricanes...
Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

When I first got my XJ, I toyed around with the idea of not having a radio at all. I would just wire up a 5 channel amp and speakers, and then run a patch cord to the inputs. The other end of the patch cord would be up near the center console and be a standard 1/8" stereo headphone plug to plug into my phone.

My phone (Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7.5 with built-in Zune player) has about 600 songs on it, and a built-in FM radio with preset ability. I never go anywhere without my phone, so I'd never leave it in the XJ at night.

The other idea I had was to get a cheap bluetooth capable head unit, and put it anywhere. Under the seat. Up under the dash on the passenger side. Where ever. My phone would automatically connect through bluetooth to the head unit when I got in and stream the audio wirelessly to the head unit. All song changing, playlists, and volume would be controlled through the phone.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"Any other tips?"

I guess you don't live in Texas, this stuff works every time. Seriously, park in an accessable well lit area if someone wants your stuff, it's gone but they don't want to get busted (or dead) doing it. FWIW, Tinted glass & what not makes it look like you have stuff worth stealing.
I live in AZ so the castle doctrine does apply here. My other xj has tinted glass and mirror commercial tint on the back half. That one hasn't been touched.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by DESERTXJ206
They somehow got in through the driver door, so no broken glass. The deck does have a blinking.light but this night my wife happened to have left it on. Windows are not tinted also. I was trying to see if people have ever ran a dummy factory deck than relocated the aftermarket one.

Here's my plans for the next couple weeks:

-Limo tint entire truck
-possible deck relocation
-Aftermarket 2 way pager alarm
-Also add a few blinking l.e.d.'s around the truck.

Any other tips? I work in a lube/tire shop and saw a Guy rigged his truck up to only start when you push in on the cigarette lighter. Thought that was pretty cool.
dont limo tint.
very bad idea for driving at night.

you can get a lower percentage tint and still not be able to see in from the outside.
and most states limo tint is illegal. esp on front doors and obviously a big no for windshields..
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96rokee

dont limo tint.
very bad idea for driving at night.

you can get a lower percentage tint and still not be able to see in from the outside.
and most states limo tint is illegal. esp on front doors and obviously a big no for windshields..
I had limo on my old truck on everything even the visor strip. I only had an issue in very low lit areas like parking lots. Other than that I loved it. I was also thinking the commercial mirror tint on it. Can see out but not in.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Attachment 121406 Mine has factory mirrored tint. With factory security alarm (key-less entry) My sub is mounted in the cargo space in the rear, the other six new speakers are in the factory locations. All the speaker grills are painted to match the carpeting. The amp is bolted down under the rear seat. So looking in there is nothing to see and obvious to steal. That is why I will not use a sub enclosure sitting in the back. It just tells people, there is something to steal in here. You can't tell I have $1800 worth of stereo equipment in my jeep. Until you hear it.

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 08-13-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Attachment 121406 Mine has factory mirrored tint. With factory security alarm (key-less entry) My sub is mounted in the cargo space in the rear, the other six new speakers are in the factory locations. All the speaker grills are painted to match the carpeting. The amp is bolted down under the rear seat. So looking in there is nothing to see and obvious to steal. That is why I will not use a sub enclosure sitting in the back. It just tells people, there is something to steal in here. You can't tell I have $1800 worth of stereo equipment in my jeep. Until you hear it.
We know now & we are on our way to ****** it!
jk / LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 06:22 PM

If I want what's in your rig I can get it.

But if the guy parked next to you is an easier target I'll take his stuff.

I'd say the only thing mentioned in this thread that is nearly fool proof is the rattlesnake idea.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Mine has factory mirrored tint. With factory security alarm (key-less entry) My sub is mounted in the cargo space in the rear, the other six new speakers are in the factory locations. All the speaker grills are painted to match the carpeting. The amp is bolted down under the rear seat. So looking in there is nothing to see and obvious to steal. That is why I will not use a sub enclosure sitting in the back. It just tells people, there is something to steal in here. You can't tell I have $1800 worth of stereo equipment in my jeep. Until you hear it.
Is your mirror tint one way tint? I had a tint Guy look at mine cus I wanted the one that got broken into tinted just like it and he said the previous people used commercial mirror tine than but a 20% film over the mirror on the inside of glass so literally night or day you cannot see through the glass at all. But from inside looking out it looks like 20% tint. Wired.

IV got an 88 4 Dr and a 90 2 Dr that didn't come with factory keyless.

I found a cheap "crime stopper" brand car alarm for $36 online and was going to install one on both. Does anyone have any tips on install or wireing and placement of the impact sensor. I was thinking somewhere in or arround driver door.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by LYKOS
If I want what's in your rig I can get it.

But if the guy parked next to you is an easier target I'll take his stuff.

I'd say the only thing mentioned in this thread that is nearly fool proof is the rattlesnake idea.
I live in AZ so the rattle snakes wont be hard to find but do you have any ideas on how to tame them? Lol

Quick Reply: Security and theft deterrents