Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Security Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Security Problem

My 92 limited sometimes will not start which resembles a security violation which I discovered by mistake. I can lock and unlock the dooor with my key and it will start. The security light will come on sometimes even when it does start. Anyone know where the module is located and if I can simply unplug it?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by Kid
My 92 limited sometimes will not start which resembles a security violation which I discovered by mistake. I can lock and unlock the dooor with my key and it will start. The security light will come on sometimes even when it does start. Anyone know where the module is located and if I can simply unplug it?
I am not 100% sure where the vtss module is , however if you can find it, with the vehicle running unplug it, that should effectivly disable it. Don't throw it too far away though , I had a 1990 chrysler new yorker that we did this to and two years later it acted up, we had to reinstall the module to shut the system off. The other option is too disconnect the module and then replace the pcm with a non vtss equipped one.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard of this in another forum as well as where the module is located. I'll give it a try after locating it. I've also heard you can replace the security module relay with one that does not have a security system...the only problem with that is the 91 that was referred to has the relay in the power distrbution box under the hood, since mine is a 92 it is not located there and I'm not sure where to look. The owners manual refers to it but does not give a location and the Haynes manual does not cover the security option.
Anyway...Many Thanks!