Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

security chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default security chip

I just got the jeep and it has a security chip. If you don't have the chip installed the jeep wont start. Is there anyway to remove this from the jeep all together? Mine is acting up as in I have to constantly play with it to get it to start at times.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 03:22 PM

i had the same problem in my 96, wouldnt start just turn over the lights would blink and somtimes couldnt get it to stop, one day i swiched the cd player and it i never had a problem with it again. im assuming that there must of been a theft alert wire atached to the old cd player that messed thigns up. might be worth lookign into.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM

I bought the jeep with an aftermarket cd player in it. The PO says that it only happens when its very cold. Eitherway its starting to **** me off. I want to take that entire system out if I can.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM

My 91 had a security system installed that I was completely unaware of until a month after I bought it, went to start it and the battery was dead, charged it up and got nothing but the lights flashing on and off.. and no idea how to reset it, lol. Lucky for me all I had to do to completely disable it was pull an inline fuse next to the box for the system, haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by moike
My 91 had a security system installed that I was completely unaware of until a month after I bought it, went to start it and the battery was dead, charged it up and got nothing but the lights flashing on and off.. and no idea how to reset it, lol. Lucky for me all I had to do to completely disable it was pull an inline fuse next to the box for the system, haven't had a problem with it since.

we had the same problem when we were checking out the 1991 that we are picking up tomorrow. FYI to reset that alarm, put the key in the hatch lock and turn it completly counter clockwise....
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Well I'm continuing to have problems with the secuity chip/key. I called the dealership and they apparently couldn't get me a new one even if I wanted one. So, there advice was to bring it in and they will see what they can do for me. I just want to disable the system. Apprently its hardwired into the computer so thats a no-go. This really pisses me off.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

So did you get the problem fixed? I want to remove the chip thing too.
I want a remote starter that's on sale $150 installed but when they found I had this installed (Which I found out was a $60 option in 2000) they upped the price another $200 to $350. Said they needed to install a bypass. Bypass my ****, just take it out. The jeeps 11 years old and is only worth $3500 wholesale which I doubt the insurance company would give me for it if it was stolen anyways!