Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seat/Seatbelts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Seat/Seatbelts?

Just wondering if any of you might have some ideas with an issue i'm having. Just got a Cherokee a couple of weeks ago and i've worked out the few minor mechanical issues. Only problem now is that the driver's side front seat is broken (slopes to one side pretty noticeably) and that I need a replacement seat belt for the front driver's side as well. I figured that'd be pretty easy to remey, but i've spent the last few days calling salvage yards and nobody has the seat or seatbelts that I need. Anybody know if the passenger side seatbelt can be used for the driver's side, or know where I might be able to find a replacement? As far as the seat itself.. any clever ways of fixing it, or suggestions on where to look?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi, you can try Craiglist for "Jeeps for parts" that where I get most of my parts from also check the "For Sale" forum on this website "https://www.cherokeeforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11"...Tj
Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a quick fix on the seat bottom, swap it with the passenger side until you can find a replacement. Then just put the replacement on the pass side. There are 4 nuts to remove to pull the whole seat assembly out of the Jeep. Then there 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the seat frame to the base, and finally 4 more bolts that hold the seat bottom to the frame. Use PB Blaster on the nuts for the seat base in there any signs of rust on them and let it soak for a few hours and repeat it necesary. If they break during removal then you have another issue to deal with. Other than letting the PB Blaster soak in, you should be able to remove both seats and swap the bottoms in about 2 hours.

For the seat belt, what year is your Jeep, and do you need the the buckle that mounts to the trans tunnel or the shoulder belt itself.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM

It's a 91, and I need the belt itself, not the buckle. Previous owner had a dog that he left in the Jeep for a few minutes that gnawed through the belt.

As far as the seats..are the driver's side and passengers side different, or interchangeable? It's odd, most of the places I called didn't have the drivers seat, but had the passengers seat. If I can just move the passenger seat to the driver's side and shop around for a new passengers seat, that'd take care of the issue nicely. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

The base is different, but the seat frame, seat bottoms, and backrests are the same on both sides. I did a seat base swap recently and put in a seat of rocker/slider bases out of my 87 junker, but did not swap the seat bottoms. Mine has the gangsta lean to it as well and when I did the base swap I did not know I could interchange the seat bottoms. I need to do it but I have just been to darn lazy.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

I'll take care of that this afternoon, then. I appreciate that information.

Any idea on the shoulder belt? Does anybody sell a universal part that would go in easily, or would a passenger's side mechanism work fine?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

If the ones in my 87 junker were any good you could have them, but unfortunately they are toast. My brother has a 89 he is parting out and may have the drivers side. Shoot him a pm, bigomudders, and see if he has them. Where are you located?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm in Oklahoma. I'll shoot him a PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Is yours 2 or 4 door? They are different and do not interchange. I just called my bro and he said it is still there, but he is uncertain of the overall condition. His is a 2 door.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 AM

Ahh. Mine's a 4 door. Back to square one. Never thought finding a seatbelt would be an issue.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

I am going to the Nashville Pull A Part this weekend. They have a 89 that was placed on the lot 7/24. If it is a 4 door and the seatbelt is good I will pull it. They charge $8 plus tax for it. What color is your current seatbelt, could get lucky and find the same one.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM

It's tan, but I really don't care about color. The vehicle is primarily just for taking out on camping trips and the like, so cosmetics mean very little to me. I appreciate you looking for me.. if you find it, let me know. I'd be more than happy to pay you back + shipping.