Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default seafoam

so i am planning on running some seafoam through my engine tomorrow but Ive got a few questions. I hear that i should put 1/3 of the bottle into the gas tank, 1/3 into the engine, and 1/3 into the brake booster. First off all, is it necasary for me to have a full tank of gas to do this? Second, where in my engine do I put the 1/3 of the bottle, is it the same place you put new oil in? Last, what is and where is my brake booster? thanks for putting up with all of my questions guys- ted
Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

don't mix it with your oil. put it in your throttle body while the vehicle is running, make sure you keep it revved while you pour it otherwise it will kinda seize your engine and it will stall(i made that mistake once). i think with putting it in the gas tank its just personal preference, personally i always just do it in my TB and have never put it in the gas tank bc it has never come up when im using it.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

I put 1/3 in though my break booster which is a large black cylinder shaped deal with a hose coming out of the top, once you pull the hose the car will rev. Then I put a 1/3 in a full gas tank. I don't put it in my oil I just don't trust it.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Run about 1/3 thru the throttle body while keeping the engine revved up to avoid stalling.... expect a lot of smoke when doing this.
If your pouring it thru the brake booster hose your doing basically the same thing as thru the throttle body.

Running seafoam with your gas will clean it out better over the long run and clean the rings and combustion chamber better.

Run one can with every tank for a month then go to one can a month and your engine will be much cleaner.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by tedrick92
so i am planning on running some seafoam through my engine tomorrow but Ive got a few questions. I hear that i should put 1/3 of the bottle into the gas tank, 1/3 into the engine, and 1/3 into the brake booster. First off all, is it necasary for me to have a full tank of gas to do this? Second, where in my engine do I put the 1/3 of the bottle, is it the same place you put new oil in? Last, what is and where is my brake booster? thanks for putting up with all of my questions guys- ted
You can also look up "Seafoam" on You Tube and see how its done...Tj
Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989

The seafoam site explains it all. The best way to do it is thru the brake booster hose, because of the vacuum and that the engine rev's itself. I usually have it suck enough to where it idle's slightly lower than normal.

Originally Posted by MasterShakeXJ
don't mix it with your oil. put it in your throttle body while the vehicle is running, make sure you keep it revved while you pour it otherwise it will kinda seize your engine and it will stall(i made that mistake once). i think with putting it in the gas tank its just personal preference, personally i always just do it in my TB and have never put it in the gas tank bc it has never come up when im using it.
Originally Posted by Skreed
I put 1/3 in though my break booster which is a large black cylinder shaped deal with a hose coming out of the top, once you pull the hose the car will rev. Then I put a 1/3 in a full gas tank. I don't put it in my oil I just don't trust it.
As far as using it in oil. I DO NOT recommend doing it thru the course of a full oil change interval.. When I use it, I put it in about 500miles or so before I am going to change my oil. It does really work well when you run it in the oil. If you do run it for too long it can break down the oil. But in that short amount of tiem that I run it, its perfectly fine.

Some MMO works good too, I use a qt with every oil change and you can put it in your fuel tank as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Metmknice
The seafoam site explains it all. The best way to do it is thru the brake booster hose, because of the vacuum and that the engine rev's itself. I usually have it suck enough to where it idle's slightly lower than normal.

As far as using it in oil. I DO NOT recommend doing it thru the course of a full oil change interval.. When I use it, I put it in about 500miles or so before I am going to change my oil. It does really work well when you run it in the oil. If you do run it for too long it can break down the oil. But in that short amount of tiem that I run it, its perfectly fine.

Some MMO works good too, I use a qt with every oil change and you can put it in your fuel tank as well.
Yeah, i agree with the only put it in the oil only close to a oil change. i have heard of some guys having problems when running it through the oil by clogging things up with everything it breaks lose. When i ran it through my caprice i put about 1/3 in through the vacuum hose and the rest in the gas and it def. felt like it was running better by the next tank..
Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

You can mix it with the oil but if you do just drive it around for a little while and then come home and change the oil that day. Do just how they 1/3 in the tank, in the oil , then last in the brake booster while someone helps by reving. then let it set about 10 mins then start it rev it and drive. I worry about it with high mileage cars no matter what but good luck.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

wouldnt put it in the oil...........
Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM

I lust got it done. I put 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the brake booster, and 1/3 into the oil but I am going to give it an oil change soon.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

Originally Posted by tedrick92
I lust got it done. I put 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the brake booster, and 1/3 into the oil but I am going to give it an oil change soon.
just wondering how it came out for you and how many miles you got? im thinking of doing it myself. thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 10:23 PM

turned out great! Before I usde the seafoam, it would not idele, when i turned it on i had to constantly rev. now it runs better than ever. I have 209,000 miles.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Year: 2000 Classic

ive got a 2000 cherokee classic with 160k and I just got some seam foam....im going to try the oil and gas and TB....I'll let everybody know if i notice the difference.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by bigbadxj
You can mix it with the oil but if you do just drive it around for a little while and then come home and change the oil that day. Do just how they 1/3 in the tank, in the oil , then last in the brake booster while someone helps by reving. then let it set about 10 mins then start it rev it and drive. I worry about it with high mileage cars no matter what but good luck.
If you add it through the brake booster, you should not have to have someone rev it for you. With the brake booster hose disconnected the engine sits at 1800-2200 approx, so no need to have someone rev it up.

Your vehicle can have a million miles on it, it wont do harm, if anything it will make it better. That is why most people use it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If you add it through the brake booster, you should not have to have someone rev it for you. With the brake booster hose disconnected the engine sits at 1800-2200 approx, so no need to have someone rev it up.

Your vehicle can have a million miles on it, it wont do harm, if anything it will make it better. That is why most people use it.
Well I have seen it done to a YJ and he needed a guy to rev it at the beginning and the end to keep it from dieing so unless the XJ is got something special you MAY need a hand. and my concern would lye with it cleaning out build up in area's that may be holding back a leak or something to that effect. Hurting by cleaning to well if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: seafoam