Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seafoam??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Big 6
Default Seafoam??

What should i Seafoam? I've never done it before but I think it might help the xj run better.. Any help in what and how to do it would be appreciated..
Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+seafoam+jeep+cherokee
Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I've used it..i never noticed anything different in performance or increase in mpg...
Others on here swear by it though.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Yeah that's what I've been reading.. I just think it'll have to be beneficial some how
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

What it does is cleans, if you have buildup it will help, if not you may not notice much. If you havnt done it and you have some miles on it 80,000+ give it a go. Gas additive and vacuum induction methods I stand behind and recommend. The oil thing is up to you.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM

How do you do the vacuum method? And it could defiantly use it. I just turned 247000miles and undone think it's ever had anything ran through it before
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I've used it in my gas, intake & a tad in my oil.

Be careful using too much in your oil. You may find it removes sludge that you end up regret having removed. Some buildup may be stopping leaks. I have had good results using a small amount about 50-100 miles prior to changing my oil. Some people run it all the time and some claim that auto trans fluid works just as well in the oil. It also acts as a detergent.

I also did the Seafoam in the brake booster hose deal. It may have cleaned deposits on the intake side...I don't know as I have taken it off to check. It did make a nice cloud of cool white smoke. I also had my upstream O2 sensor go bad later that same day. After some reading, I found that to be somewhat common. If I were to do it again, I would remove and either plug the bung or install an old O2 sensor during the process.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Year: 03
Engine: 4.7

How much would you add to the gas tank on the 4.7 CJ?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Be careful with your block flush. More often than not the seals develope a slow leak that gets gunked up and (sealed) from contaminants or the oil itself sludging up from being in the same area for so long. I have seen many people unknown to them with bad seals run the foam in there block and shortly after developed a oil leak that was nothing short of nausiating. I ran a can split up between the tank and the vacume route and managed very little clearout. I smoked for all of 2 minutes and all was done. You can pull a vacume line from the manifold and then dip the line down into the foam intermitantly. When the rpm's change is when I backed the line out of the solution. once it leveled back out repeat until the 1/3 of the can is gone. Thats about it. Take care to locate and use a vacume line that is closer to the center of the manifold plane.. otherwise all you will be doing is cleaning out one or two cylinders as apposed to all 6.

In terms of performance it smoothed my idle out.. I didnt notice any other effects.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dwestonxj
How do you do the vacuum method? And it could defiantly use it. I just turned 247000miles and undone think it's ever had anything ran through it before
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the booster.

Start engine.

Poor small amounts of Seafoam into the sucking booster hose a little at a time while the engine runs, sputters, coughs and makes tons of white smoke.

If you add too much at a time, the engine will die and could hydro lock, so you just want to let the hose suck in small amounts so that the enging keeps running good.

You can also have a buddy rev the motor while you do it to keep it running. I did mine alone, but I have a fast idle switch that kept rpms increased.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

The smoke - is not carbon from your engine - it's the oil in the junk.
Corn oil works the same.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ahenderl
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the booster.

Start engine.

Poor small amounts of Seafoam into the sucking booster hose a little at a time while the engine runs, sputters, coughs and makes tons of white smoke.

If you add too much at a time, the engine will die and could hydro lock, so you just want to let the hose suck in small amounts so that the enging keeps running good.

You can also have a buddy rev the motor while you do it to keep it running. I did mine alone, but I have a fast idle switch that kept rpms increased.

This, except what I and many do is actually do about a half a can, stall it out with the last bit in the can(I've never had any hydrolock issues, so I make no claims that it can't...never read of it actually happening either...I'll continue to take my chances lol)
And let it sit after it stalls out for about 15 mins, give it a good run afterwords.....expect it to run crappy until it burns off.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

I put it in my oil for 100 miles as did a buddy of mine. No issues whatsoever.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM

It all boils down to how well the motor was taken care of really.. if you know it was flogged and put up wet then I would personally not dump it into the block. just my .02
Old 11-25-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

RRich can you prove that? I used it in my engine all carbon built up smoked like crazy then i did 2000 miles later when the engine was clean and no smoke

Quick Reply: Seafoam??