Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Scratching My Head

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Scratching My Head

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder , I was in the hospital for several months, my girlfriend would start my jeep once a week while I was in the hospital, the week I came out of the hospital I tried to crank the jeep and it acted like it wanted to start but would not start. The care sat through the month of January because it was too cold for me to try to work on it, This week I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and I replaced the coil, when I tried to start it the motor was dragging and it still would not start, I took the battery out had it tested nd it was still good, I took the starter off and it tested good as well, so then I checked the fuel pressure and it was good, but still won't start..... any suggestions before I use the ole sledge hammer on it ?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l

Mine was doing similar, I had an Air bubble in the fuel rail and it wouldn't work it's self out. I held the schrader valve on the fuel rail while the misses cranked and after a few seconds of air and gas It fired right up
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Default Thank You

Thanks for the information, I will give that a try and see if it works, I will let you know
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Try to purge the air as suggested, also could be with the ethanol in fuels these days could have some moisture in the fuel from sitting. Also verify that you are getting consistent spark out of the coil, could be a loose connection somewhere like CPS. Good Luck. Post up results when you get it fired up.