Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Scored a 94 Cherokee, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Scored a 94 Cherokee, what can I do?

So I scored a 94 Cherokee 4.0L for the cost of parts to fix it (about 45 bucks). It's pretty beat up but everything works on it. I've heard that you can swap dodge neon injectors as a cheap mod? I'm replacing the thermostat (it seems to run hot and it's a 6 dollar part so what the heck). Besides the basic oil and plug change anything else you guys recommend I do to make her run tip top? I've heavily modded chevy LS series motors in the past and am a pretty experienced mechanic. This is my first chrysler, going to turn her into my hunting/fishing/semi offroading mobile since she's all banged up and I practically got her for free I'm not afraid to take her places I wouldn't take my truck (narrow trails I might scrap on). Really looking forward to some fab work! Anyway, what do you guys think?

C.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Carlisle
So I scored a 94 Cherokee 4.0L for the cost of parts to fix it (about 45 bucks). It's pretty beat up but everything works on it. I've heard that you can swap dodge neon injectors as a cheap mod? I'm replacing the thermostat (it seems to run hot and it's a 6 dollar part so what the heck). Besides the basic oil and plug change anything else you guys recommend I do to make her run tip top? I've heavily modded chevy LS series motors in the past and am a pretty experienced mechanic. This is my first chrysler, going to turn her into my hunting/fishing/semi offroading mobile since she's all banged up and I practically got her for free I'm not afraid to take her places I wouldn't take my truck (narrow trails I might scrap on). Really looking forward to some fab work! Anyway, what do you guys think?

C.
Well nearly free is always good. Probably save yourself some headache and just do the whole cooling system. Radiator, water pump, thermostat(195d), new hoses, fan clutch and flush the whole system. Just keep all the parts stock and local, cost you about 240 ish to do it all. I wouldn't bother with injectors till you see how it runs. Next thing would be a basic tune up, see how she runs and go from there. After that you can start reading in the modified section and check out ideas for a little lift
Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

^This.

Start by doing all the normal maintenance items, tune up, fluid changes, and give the driveline/brakes/steering systems a thorough inspection, and replace what's needed. I'd worry about getting it in tip-top running condition first, then start hitting up the mods. Best to have a good base to start from.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Number 1 is a "complete" new cooling system a radiator is only a $100 from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty then water pump, fan clutch, new hoses. Start with flushing the sys 2 or 3 times with the heater open so the core cleans also. Heat is about all that kills a 4.0 engine so at the age of yours it needs the attention.

Next change all the fluids top to bottom, front to back and be sure to use the proper fluid in each. Then start on the driveline, steering and such finally a tune-up.

Once all of those are done and up to par then and only then you can start with mods.

Welcome to the forum your doing the right thing starting this way, it will save you money in the long run.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the whole cooling system and ditch the heater control valve, you don't need it and it will break at the worst possible time. Don't worry about Neon injectors, not much gain for the time and money spent. Replace the valve cover gasket and oil filter adaptor o rings, those are the most common areas that leak. A complete tune up and fuel filter. Summit Racing has a great tune up kit from Accel for about 70 bucks. Drain and fill the transmission (plug on the pan) and change the diff and T-case fluid. Inspect the front end and maybe just plan on replacing the track bar for good measure. You're gonna git rid of your other vehicles once you start driving the Jeep.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a plan guys. Got a quote from Oreilys, about 175 bucks for radiator, thermostat, and heater core. But from the sounds of it no need to replace the heater core? If that's the case I'll throw the 51 bucks for the core at new hoses. What's the need for replacing the clutch fan? Already replaced the water pump, the belt pulley fell off the old one and apparently getting a new water pump belt pulley is damn near impossible (something about a recall). That's why they couldn't fix it. Took me 3 hours of digging through a junk yard to locate one. 10 bucks. Water pump was like 21. Plus fluids. Already had a new belt.

Brother in law said it'll sometimes start to shimmy real bad around 55 mph. I went 60 the other day to try and feel it but it didn't happen, havent gone more that 45 mph since, input? I plan on crawling under it next weekend and inspecting it all.

Doesn't look half bad in the picture, but the other side has a crushed quarter panel both front and rear. Missing lots of door molding. Roof is a mess. Seats are tore up. Scratches everywhere. Doors are rough opening and closing. Little rust.. with that said. AC and heater work tip top, 4wd works, engine runs hot but strong. No cracked glass. Starts every time no trouble.

I'm not looking for a show car, all about performance and reliability. She had a spare tire, I plan on getting a used jack and tires chains and other good offroading tid bits. Front and rear bumpers are both bashed up, going to end up building some from steel tubing or something.

Idles a bit rough, not bad, anyone with limited mechanimal ability wouldn't notice. Just a slight stutter, probably will get better once I throw some plugs at it.

What about a fuel additive or something to clean the injectors? So no go on swapping neon injectors?

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!

C.