Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Scary noise at high speeeds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Scary noise at high speeeds?

So driving to work on monday i'm going about 100 (kms) on the highway and all of a sudden i hear a rather loud grinding noise coming from the vicinity of the front driverside wheel..area..... and the jeep kinda pulls to the right (driverside) but as soon as it happens it s gone and i'm driving normally its happens 5 or so times in the 70 - 110 km/hr range and only seems to happen if i'm slightly turning to the left(passenger side) .

At first i figured it was just a hunk of snow that had build up then come loose ( living in canada is fun) but now that it has happened almsot everytime too and from work since monday i'm a little worried.
The weird thing is i was forced to drive to the next city for a work related delivery on tuesday and the entire 5 hour drive there and back plus the 1 hour through the city and it didn't do anything until the next day on my way to work.

I looked at the driver side wheel/wheel well/ tire pressure/ general area. but can't seem to see/find anything out of the ordinary.

The grinding noise only lasts 2-3 seconds and its gone and it only sometimes pulled the jeep.

Can anyone tell me things i should check out to try track the source of this???.....should still be driving this thing?