Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sad day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default sad day!

hello, i figured this would be a good place to ask for some advice..much appreciated in advance.

my 2000 XJ had a pretty serious electrical fire on the driver's side. i assumed it had to do with some leakage elsewhere in the vehicle, but it didn't smell like it was from the power steering, the smoke didn't go away and it was a smoldering electronic smell that only got heavier. next thing i know there are flames...luckily we got a fire extinguisher and it was put out. harrowing to say the least. took off the battery terminals and took everything out of the vehicle.

upon further inspection, i saw that the area under the dash was charred up. something got shorted. the accelerator pedal was also melted and was just hanging there. from my guesstimation this sad vehicle will never drive again. up to that point, it ran decent, mechanically it was sound.

i'm not quite sure what to do! CA has a vehicle retirement program but it actually has to run in order to take it in. my other options are to part it out or sell as a whole, or take it to the junk yard and get something like 300 or less which isn't ideal...but it may be necessary. however i'd rather generate some cash out of it since it's going to take a lot more to fix it. i ran the thing into the ground for 8 years with no real problems...like my neighbor said i was a day late lol
Old 10-26-2016, 04:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Or you can go to a pick and pull and get your own parts to fix it . you can get the complete wiring to the jeep .
Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Put it on Craigslist as a part out.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

If you were closer I'd buy your engine, Im sure someone else would, and I'd easily pay 3-500 if its mechanically sound as you said.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Part it out. I think that's going to be your best money. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. Next idea is to buy another one with a good body and swap over your drivetrain. Should be able to pick up a roller for $400-500.