Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another broken belt tensioner bolt

Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Broken belt tensioner bolt

So i get the new belt on and wound up snapping the long bolt. Broke it off flush with the adjuster. Pretty sure it was because i tightened the pulley first. Why? I dont know. Anyway, for those of you replacing the belt for the first time or whatever, tighten the pulley LAST. Otherwise, the adjuster binds against the accessory bracket, which is what i assume happened. Had to remove the pulley to remove the belt.

I was able to remove what was left of the long bolt from the adjuster using the bench vice (vice grips did not work for me) and the pulley bolt. Slid a box wrench over the threaded end of the pulley bolt and threaded the bolt onto the adjuster by hand as far as it would go. Then clamped the broken bolt into the vice. Using the wrench as a breaker bar, i spun the adjuster off the broken bolt. The threads in the adjuster and pulley bolt were good to go. No damage.

BTW, is the 4792 112 stamped into the pulley an OEM part number? I assume so, but need to be sure before ordering a replacement. Thanks.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 10-27-2016 at 10:53 AM.