Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rustys add a leaf vs. add a spring/

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question rustys add a leaf vs. add a spring/

sorry of this is a stupid question, but i did some research (not very good because im really out of it right now), but what is the difference of an add a leaf kit vs an add a spring kit. most of my trouble is coming from the parts list on both of these kits being exactly the same despite the $200 price difference.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

also could anybody that has any experience with rustys lifts tell me if i will need anything else, or will i be set with these?

oh and im just planning out how to spend money i don't have with a Cherokee i don't have yet (trying to get a new xj 4x4, i have 4x2 right now)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 AM

30 views and no replies???
Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "add a leaf" kit is just what it says. You disassemble your stock leaf pack and add a new leaf into it to give it more lift.

There is no "add a spring" kit. That is a "spring pack kit" which means that you will get an entirely new set of leaf springs for the rear of your Jeep and discard your stock leafs all together.

Add a leaf kits are ok on a budget, but will begin to sag way to soon and you will lose most of the additional lift you gain when thet are first installed. A new leaf pack is the best way to go in the long run.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winston427
The "add a leaf" kit is just what it says. You disassemble your stock leaf pack and add a new leaf into it to give it more lift.

There is no "add a spring" kit. That is a "spring pack kit" which means that you will get an entirely new set of leaf springs for the rear of your Jeep and discard your stock leafs all together.

Add a leaf kits are ok on a budget, but will begin to sag way to soon and you will lose most of the additional lift you gain when thet are first installed. A new leaf pack is the best way to go in the long run.
x2. Always get full packs. They work better in the long run.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by winston427

ok, thanks that is what i was looking for. and sorry for the wrong title then, like i said im just out of it right now