Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusted floorboards. Junk it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusted floorboards. Junk it?

Hello all. I just want to say that all of you have been quite helpful as I have read all of your responses from my posts and I read every one of them and appreciate it very much.

With that said...

I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport with rust underneath the floorboards producing a few baseball sized holes. There is another spot upwards toward the middle underneath that has a softball size hole. Really pisses me off.

Anyway, the rest of the body is solid, thats the worst of it. Is it worth it to fix it? How do you fix that? Do I have to rip out the carpet and patch it up some how? I don't want to do that. Should I just sell it and move on? Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

I asked the same thing not too long ago. Although I never considered junking it.

You can fix it if you have a welder or someone who has a welder.

Tear up the carpet, away the rust till you find good metal, then weld some new metal in. Hit it with some primer to prevent rust.

Its on my "to do" list for mine.

One thing on a VERY long list lol.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/23946

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/28548

Here is a couple links for replacement floors, quadratic also sells them
Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM

I'd just weld it up and keep it.

Last edited by ThumperK15; 10-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6

I would never junk an XJ. At least put it on Craigslist, I guarantee someone will buy it.
I had a 92 that had a ton of rust in the cargo area, rear and front floorboards. I beat the hell out of that XJ and didn't really worry about the rust. You can get replacement floors like said above and have them welded in or even rivet them in.

I would also suggest you check the cargo area, if the floors are going, there is a chance rust has been starting under all that carpet/padding. If there is you can always do what I did...
Wood floor! lol:
Ignore the foam, this is what it looked like when the floor had just been put in. I was very impressed with it.
Here is why I did the floor:
Now the way I did it, was just a bandaid, because I didn't cut out the cancer, I just covered it. My step dad is a carpenter, so the floor was done in a few hours but it wasn't that complicated. I figured that it took 16 years to get that bad
This is just an idea, I wouldn't junk it over a little rust IMO.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Default <..>

dang, that looks pretty sharp.
The floor on my '84 was completely missing in front of the drivers seat and to the side (and I mean missing, not rust holes. go-go Michigan winters). I had some thick steel the kid I bought it from gave to me and welded down some replacements. It's not the best, but it's sturdy and it's there. The rear was about as bad as 92muddycherokee's. I just bought some metal from Home Depot and started to weld/pop rivet it down. It's nothing fancy but the Jeeps not worth dumping a ton of money into it having the 2.8 GM for an engine.
As long as your suspension/frame looks good and safe, just fix the holes.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

go to any steel supply yard that sells used steel as well as new steel and look for 18 guage sheet metal..... it easy to weld with a cheap welder that someone around you should have (just ask around) and then tear up the carpet... remove ALL rust and just weld over all the holes.... you won't regret it.... cuz i bet you the next cherokee you go to buy will be rusted also.. unless it from out of state and your paying some thick cash for it
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6

ThatJeepGuy has a very good point. I live in a rust prone area and every XJ I buy around here will have very similar rust problems. If you can weld or have someone do it, take the time and cut out all the cancer and have some good metal welded in. Just do sections at a time if need be. I will be investigating any rust on my new(to me) 95xj. I am sure there is rust starting under there, hopefully I can catch it in time but we will see.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 AM

Good God !! that's a 1992 ??? with that much rust it looks like a 1922, where do you live ?, on a hut on the beach....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 AM

That floor work was nicely done... I never thought that a wood used on the floor would look this good...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

92muddycherokee! That floor looks sharp!
Love it!
I also have rear seats out and planing on building special box in the area of the seats with flip-ups to keep tools, jack and what not there. But I want to carpet it (or maybe vinyl it) and make it so it level with the rear floor. I removed seat belts crap, tire bracket ...made it all clean

As for the rust. I had pretty much similar situation, maybe a bit larger holes , and also I had holes under driver and pas. seats on the door sides and few small holes under rear seats.
So after some time of "heavy thinking" about the situation, I've decided for now to not go into installing new pans way. I just would not be able to deal with this at the moment.
Hear's what I did. I took all the moldings out got the carpet out and then cut out the falling apart rust , cut some around the edges, metal-brushed it, vac-ed it, then I've got under the Jeep and deed clean-up from there.
Then I've cleaned the "sick areas" with POR-15 marine Clean and treated it all with POR-15 "Metal Ready" and then pained it all with POR-15 black from top around the edges and then from the under too, I also painted the most structure parts from under.
Now, this took me about a week of work, as I had to do it when ever I had time and there was no raining. It's a messy procedure, I must say.
So at the end I've got no rust but still bunch of holes .
Then I've made up special "matts" of heavy rubber and "installed them" as they were "pans" , well, sort of . I've used heavy duty construction sealant (designed for roof&flashing etc...) , and used a lot of this stuff to seal around the edges and around the holes under the "rubber pans (I mean, matts" ..heh heh.
I also actually filled some smaller holes with body filler.
Then I've reinstalled the carpet.
And that's about it for now.
Oh!!! I also placed couple of metal sheet cuts in the location of the holes under the driver and passenger, just cut and bent them to fit, I also painted those with POR-15, on top of them - also rubber mats under the carpet.
I actually just finished the other day the last swings of POR under the Jeep, missed some locations here and there.
So, I am planing now to get under the jeep again armed with a gun and a case of amo - Roof&Flashing Sealant Polyurethane and mayby some roofing asfalt stuff and will seal around the edges of the holes.

So this will be my sort of "soft-top (I mean -bottom) style" fixing experiment and I'll see how this will make through the winter... if it will make through the fall , of course...heh heh
Well, I guess I'll need a real big hat for the luck ...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Man I am diggin that wood floor. Something I never considered. Looks pretty good though! I would like to have something similar to that but I have to keep my back seat in place and I would want more lift up sections so I could put all my tools and stuff under the floor.

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 10-21-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

that wood floor does look good, but unless you cut the rusty metal out and replace with new metal, you've lost the structural integrity of the rear half of the jeep. it's a unibody, and the floor has to be spot welded to the "frame" to keep it strong. now when you flex, it will stress out the rest of that area.
not to mention, how are you gonna keep an eye on any future rust back there, and how are you gonna fix that? you'll have to tear up that nice looking floor to do it.
not to mention, the wood would get all chewed up from sliding camp bins and wheeling equipment in and out all the time. if you wanted wood, you should've just went with hardwood.
but it does look pretty damn good tho. i'm not picking it apart, but if there was rust before, there will be rust again, especially if you didn't remove the cancer.

as mentioned, it's not that difficult to cut and weld in some patches, then you could cover it up with some nice wood laminate.

cheers
Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

Just tore out my carpet in the front. The floors were not rusted through though. The back I have not ripped out yet but I am sure that it is really bad as I can see the carpet through the bottom of the jeep. I have rust everywhere so I was suprised to see that the front floor pans were not in bad shape.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

Year: 1999

only my rocker panels are rotted and i live in new england and my Jeep cam from new hampshire not a spot of rust on the floors

Quick Reply: Rusted floorboards. Junk it?