Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rust in the top corner of windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Rust in the top corner of windshield.

After seeing pictures of the pinch weld rotting out and seeing bad rust in my line of work (windshield installer) I decided to check my jeep out, I took the light bar off so I could get a better view, I pulled back the moulding and I do have some rust in the top corners.It's still solid, I poked around with a screwdriver and a pick. I don't need a windshield right now it's not cracked or leaking, but I'm thinking to buy some time before I have to replace it and fix the rust, I have a can of the rustoleum rust ender stuff, I may change the nozzles out for one that has the straw and spray it up in the corners on the rust, Maybe it'll kill it before it turns into rot. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm just wondering if that stuff gets on the urethane if it'll eat it or not and cause a leak.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It's not going to hurt the urethane. I don't think it's going to help much unless you get the existing paint out of the way, first but it won't hurt a bit to try it.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:08 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96

imo, it should be cut out with a line, all rust repaired, re-painted, new seal, re-bond

I am about to do this myself, and have done before. I have an expert mobile guy I can ring if I run into issues

It has previously been bodged and is not air/watertight

Having experienced repairing rusted pinchwelds, I take a very vigilant approach, live near the Ocean, the salty air plays havoc

As an Industry pro, you are best placed to make an assesment
Old 06-23-2019, 03:28 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by jshultz78
After seeing pictures of the pinch weld rotting out and seeing bad rust in my line of work (windshield installer) I decided to check my jeep out, I took the light bar off so I could get a better view, I pulled back the moulding and I do have some rust in the top corners.It's still solid,.
here is what I found, when I cut the old urethane..no rust perforations, wouldnt have wanted to leave it much longer, took me all day as it was, new seal on glass $60,
thorough clean up of all surface rust, 3 stage paint process, paid my mate $60 to urethane it in