Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

running new stereo wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default running new stereo wires

i have a short in my stereo wires somewhere and i'm tired of driving in silence and blowing fuses so i am wanting to just run new wires i only have two speakers in the front doors and tow subs in the back that run off the red and white wires that plug into the stereo itself. so i was wondering if i just run a hot power wire to the battery with an inline fuse and new wires to the speakers in the doors and a new ground wire. Will this work? I want everyones opinions before i start running new wire. I am mainly doing this cause i don't wnat to have to take the dash apart to find the bad wires. thanks in advance
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

It will work but the stereo will stay on even with the jeep off. i sugjest running a hot wire from the fue box and wire it like that.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by n_a_i_w
It will work but the stereo will stay on even with the jeep off. i sugjest running a hot wire from the fue box and wire it like that.
x2

I Ran my own heavy gauge wiring to all of my speakers, the RCA cable to the subs(monster cable) and the other stuff is wiring to the factory harness.

It will work out great!

Get the thickest wiring cable you can.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

you don't have to take the dash apart if you don't feel like it. it's not that hard to trace a bad wire with an ohm-meter.
having said that, yes, you can run new wires with an inline fuse provided you use the right gauge wire. you will need a constant source and ignition source. and the door speaker short is probably in the rubber boots. mine was.
it probably would be a good idea to have new stereo wires, but don't take any shortcuts, don't put electric tape on your junctions, do it right. if you need more instructions, PM me and i'll help you out.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, k&n intake Flomaster cat back

Originally Posted by 96_xj
x2

I Ran my own heavy gauge wiring to all of my speakers, the RCA cable to the subs(monster cable) and the other stuff is wiring to the factory harness.

It will work out great!

Get the thickest wiring cable you can.
ya only really need thick wiring for the amp, Speaker wire is basically a signal wire, still you dont want to use crap

if your running an aftermarket radio, there should be a remote wireyoucan wireinto the fuse box to turn the radio on with the car, ones ive seen are useually blue

you need thick power wire for the amp, anything from8-4 gauge should work, use same gauge for the ground, mount fuse close to the battery and dont make ground cable too long for better performance