Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running jeep

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Running jeep

I just bought a 1994 jeep cherokee sport. I already have a 1994 jeep cherokee country for about a year now and I know all about these beasts. Well the jeep I just bought had a really bad rod knock. No biggy. I had an engine laying around that I was going to rebuild anyway. Well I got everything ready for the engine swap. But I had to have a little fun with the car without killing everything else. So i drained all the coolant and oil and then pegged it at redline. it went for 10 minutes and still was runnin strong. It was smoking up the shop way to much so I had to shut it down. As soon as the smoke cleared I tried to start it back up again. It started right up. No hesitation. again pegged it and the motor still ran for another 5 mins. So i decided to get creative. I put sand in the intake and the oil. Started it back up again and pegged it once more. Finally it would only got to 4,000rpms so I thought it was about to blow. It then when at 4,000rpms for another 20 mins. After that it went down to 2,000rpms still flooring it and then finally turned off. I was surprized it lasted that long. Just for kicks after it cooled down, I tried starting it thinking the motor wouldn't turn. It actually turned on yet again. This thing had no oil, no coolant, water and sand in it and it still ran after redlining it for about 30mins. I have officially underestimated these jeep 4.0 engines. The engine now lays in the waiting room of my shop where is rests in pease. As for the car itself. It has a new non-knockin motor. Thank you for your time and I hope you get a Kick out of this one. Im a jeep lover so don't think I did this to hate on jeeps. I did it to prove how strong they are. and even surprized myself.