Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

running hot etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default running hot etc...

Ijust picked up a 1988 Cherokee. Stock. It's running hot (verified with temp gun).

The P.O (who bought the 'rokee from me in good running order 5 years ago) says he flushed it and changed the water pump. In my explorations, I have bypassed the heater core (leaking) and checked the rad. (some cool spots)

I pulled the t-stat to try and get it running cooler longer, and get the air out of the system but it gets up to 120 very fast.

Thoughts?

I am not confident there is significant coolant flow. I wonder if it has the correct water pump, This Cherokee has a serp belt, but was there a v-belt option in this year?

Any help appreciated. needs to be safe and reliable(ish)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gromit
Ijust picked up a 1988 Cherokee. Stock. It's running hot (verified with temp gun).

The P.O (who bought the 'rokee from me in good running order 5 years ago) says he flushed it and changed the water pump. In my explorations, I have bypassed the heater core (leaking) and checked the rad. (some cool spots)

I pulled the t-stat to try and get it running cooler longer, and get the air out of the system but it gets up to 120 very fast.

Thoughts?

I am not confident there is significant coolant flow. I wonder if it has the correct water pump, This Cherokee has a serp belt, but was there a v-belt option in this year?

Any help appreciated. needs to be safe and reliable(ish)
It gets to 120 or 220? And put the tstat back in.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
It gets to 120 or 220? And put the tstat back in.
Tstat out to ensure flow. flow is the issue I think. I was going to drill it actually, Temp over 120, in the red on dash. I better check to see if I'm reading it Fahrenheit or Celsius now that I think of i! lol.. boy what a maroon.... yup... Fahrenheit.. D'oh. well okay it was over heating when i brought it home. (boiled over) No signs of coolant in oil or in combustion chamber, no oil in coolant either. Doubting it's a head or gasket issue but curious about other causes. I apologize, I hung up the wrenches some time ago, so I'm a little slow getting my brain in mechanic mode.

Last edited by Gromit; 11-23-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Well 210 Fahrenheit is the operating temp do 120 is low. You've flushed the system?
Old 11-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Well 210 Fahrenheit is the operating temp do 120 is low. You've flushed the system?
Yes i realized my error on temp as soon as you mentioned it. I was thinking metric Water boils around 100 in metric (Celsius)... my bad.

P.O. flushed the system several times apparently. I ran a hose through heater lines and it was pretty rusty (no antifreeze)

Will run it again when i get home today paying closer attention to Fareneit temperatures. I realize the gauge could be off

As this model does not have a rad cap, it's difficult to see if there is flow. I have to rely on feel and temperature. All I an sure of is that it boiled over coming to my place from his.