Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bad Computer?

I recently purchased a 2000 XJ Classic with a 4.0 and an automatic. Test drive was good, but soon after, the engine would die when the temp reached 210 degrees. Crank Position Sensor seemed to fix that, but new problems keep developing. Throttle Position Sensor, but volts check out ok. I replaced it anyway, it is still throwing the code. It is throwing Park/Neutral Switch, O2 sensor codes as well. The fuel gauge works intermittently. The cruise works if the fuel gauge is working but trying to turn on the cruise when the fuel gauge quits will kill the engine. The tachometer quits from time to time. Now the voltage is fluctuating. Computer?????
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jwiningar@gmail.com
I recently purchased a 2000 XJ Classic with a 4.0 and an automatic. Test drive was good, but soon after, the engine would die when the temp reached 210 degrees. Crank Position Sensor seemed to fix that, but new problems keep developing. Throttle Position Sensor, but volts check out ok. I replaced it anyway, it is still throwing the code. It is throwing Park/Neutral Switch, O2 sensor codes as well. The fuel gauge works intermittently. The cruise works if the fuel gauge is working but trying to turn on the cruise when the fuel gauge quits will kill the engine. The tachometer quits from time to time. Now the voltage is fluctuating. Computer?????

keep it simple start with good clean batt connectors. all i hear here is "check grounds" so check them.
others will soon ad more,better advice!!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

as nujeep said, check your grounds and cables. Make sure the cables and terminals are good, clean, and tight. Bad grounds can cause weird stuff to happen. I think there are 2 main ground straps, and you will also want to check the battery cables, and the alternator cables, and the power distribution cables too. Once you have done that see if any issues go away. If you are getting codes, post them by number, and give a description of the problem. Having the number helps.

Last edited by mikesignal; 11-24-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you gentlemen. I will check. Here's hoping.