Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running hot and electric fan turning on to late, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.
Default Running hot and electric fan turning on to late, maybe?

I tried doing a search, and asked in someone else's post, but came up with nothing. When driving it hovers around 210 (according to gauge, who knows how accurate that is), but if I have all a/c and heat controls off and if I am in stop and go traffic it gets pretty hot, and the electric fan does not kick on until it get's very hot. I have tested this at idle and every time fan doesn't turn on until it get's pretty hot. (pic enclosed) Also I am running 195 thermostat, just changed it as last thermostat was stuck open, and if it is normal for these to run at 210 or so then the thermostat would be open all the time, isn't that not the best thing for it to do as it seems like a recipe for thermostat to get stuck open then it's like not running a thermostat at all?

Here is a pic of what gauge says temp is when electric fan turns on. BTW is a 93 4 liter

Last edited by Dsandine; 05-15-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

stock electric is supposed to come on at 217. if you want it to come on sooner you can turn defrost on.

also might wanna check and see what temp you are actually running with something other than the gauge

thermostart is 193~195 if it is stock

210 is normal operatin temp for these
Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Year: 1990

I had the exact same problem. Turns out it is a bad head gasket. Never would have known. I bought it in the fall and it did not have a thermostat in it. I put one in and no problems till the weather turned warmer. Right now I am not running a thermostat. I'll just put one in in the fall and take it out in the spring. It has 168k so I'll just wait till it dies and replace the motor.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Emery
I had the exact same problem. Turns out it is a bad head gasket. Never would have known. I bought it in the fall and it did not have a thermostat in it. I put one in and no problems till the weather turned warmer. Right now I am not running a thermostat. I'll just put one in in the fall and take it out in the spring. It has 168k so I'll just wait till it dies and replace the motor.
a thermo stat actually makes your jeep run cooler. no thermostat doesnt let coolant sit in radiator long enough. NO theromosat is not a good thing
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

Originally Posted by Emery
The oil has no signs of water/coolant, did compression test and everything is where it should be. Pretty sure my head gasket is fine. I did just find out about 2 hours is my fan clutch is bad, so that is probably why it runs hot, I just don't understand why it has to reach such a high temp on mine for electric fan to come one, unless my gauge or sending unit is junk. And I am still concerned about driving a car when once it is warmed up the thermostat is open all the time.

On a side note with my t-stat stuck open it was almost like not running one, and quick trips I would actually through a code for engine being warm enough.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

elec fan is good upgrade and cheaper than replacing fan clutch if you know how to source parts (jy)

Name:  0126101014.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Year: 1990

How long would it run before it starts to over heat? My would take about 8 min. Maybe I should check the fan clutch as well?