Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rubicon Express 2" lift kit... comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4 cyl
Default Rubicon Express 2" lift kit... comments?

Is anyone using this kit: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6160

I recently bought a '93 XJ and while the rig is in very good condition, I noticed the shocks are in need of replacement and the rear leafs are a bit "saggy". I loaded up about 500# of bagged pea gravel today for our yard and I noticed about 1" of tire to fender clearance and the read springs were fairly "flattened out".

I don't want to lift the XJ more than 2" and this kit seems to be a good value.

Any comments or opinions? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I'm in the same pisition as you, Want to remain stock, but wouldn't mind a little more height. Replace org. leafs and coils. Could use new shocks also. But if I'm going to do that work, might as while add a little ht. I thought of a BB lift as you mentioned. Which brings up some question? Does it pay to use AAl's on already worn out leafs. I thought about using the factory opt. listed back then. Listed as "UP Counrty pkg. or as the OffRoad pkg." Should add about 1.5 to 2'' over org. height. Costs about $500 for susp. parts. The XJ would still remain factory so to speak. But I'm not sure about the ride qlty. after. ( use mine for daily driver mostly ) My other chioce is a Old Man Emu suspension system, 1.5 to 2.5 lift. The more I read about it. The more I thinking OME. For little lift, and ride qaulity. Priced about $800. A lttle more money,but come with all the itiems . I would replace anyways. Just my opion. Here's a site with pretty good prices, including org. parts. You can see pics. of my sagging Xj in my album. LOL please post back, want to see what you chose.http://www.4wd.com/
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

There's a thread under Cherokee Tech, listed as Project " Black Out " with pics. That might influence your choice. Check it out.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by IdahoXJ
Is anyone using this kit: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6160

I recently bought a '93 XJ and while the rig is in very good condition, I noticed the shocks are in need of replacement and the rear leafs are a bit "saggy". I loaded up about 500# of bagged pea gravel today for our yard and I noticed about 1" of tire to fender clearance and the read springs were fairly "flattened out".

I don't want to lift the XJ more than 2" and this kit seems to be a good value.

Any comments or opinions? Thanks.
It's a good starter kit. It includes pretty much everything you need at that height. I can't comment on the ride quality of it but RE puts out some nice stuff so I wouldn't doubt it.

If you want the best riding 2" lift, Old Man Emu is the way to go. Pricey but you get what you pay for. It's $700 big ones but you get four awesome riding shocks, soft coil springs, and your choice of soft-med-HD rear leaf springs.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

RE is a good brand but if your just getting a 2" BB you might as well go with rusty's as either will ride the same since your just throwing some spacers and extended shackles on. You can usually find some people selling some used spacers / shackles on line which can save you some bucks there to.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

I have had this kit on for some time now. I have been very impressed with it. The ride quality didn't change much at all over stock. I actually wheel quiet a bit with mine and it has done great on the trail as well. If you are looking for a complete easy to install kit, this is the way to go. I am sure you could accumulate the parts here and there for cheaper though.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Year: 2001

I am currently running that setup and its not that bad of a ride its a little stiff of a ride but im happy with it for a under $300 setup