Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough running after its running or shutoff!! Vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough running after its running or shutoff!! Vapor lock?

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this issue but its done it for a while now not all the time. Say you are out putting around trailing and u shut it off for a minute by hen you restart it and its running rough. Like its vapor locking. Sometimes I can rev the crap out of it and it will fix itself. Or start driving it and get on it a little and it may clear right up. I ran into another guy with a jeep not cherokee on the trail and his would do the same thing. It's like when the engine is hot not over heating is when it acts up after u shut it off. Anyone have a fix for this that has experienced this? Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 2qk4u
I'm sure I'm not the only person with this issue but its done it for a while now not all the time. Say you are out putting around trailing and u shut it off for a minute by hen you restart it and its running rough. Like its vapor locking. Sometimes I can rev the crap out of it and it will fix itself. Or start driving it and get on it a little and it may clear right up. I ran into another guy with a jeep not cherokee on the trail and his would do the same thing. It's like when the engine is hot not over heating is when it acts up after u shut it off. Anyone have a fix for this that has experienced this? Thanks
that's probably exactly what's happening. There was a fix out where you cover the exhaust manifold with this...foil or something to create a barrier between your injectors and the exhaust manifold.

In addition to have, I believe hood louvers may offer some help for this as well, but I don't think they'd work on their own (not without that previously mentioned barrier).
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

it's called "heat soak misfire"....and yes it is vapor lock. the fuel is vaporizing in the injectors....you can install the hood louvers (or vents) as james said, you can put a switch on you electric fan to run it when you need it, you can put a timer on your electric fan so at the push of a button you can run it for a set amount of time (even when the jeep is off), put on a cowl hood (expensive), do the hood vents and cover them with cowl hoods purchased from ebay...... do a home brew mix of all....depends on which direction you want to go.