Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough Idle, Vibration at Highway Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough Idle, Vibration at Highway Speed

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport that is having some issues. There is a miss at idle, causing a rough idle. When I get on the highway, once I hit 70MPH I start getting a vibration. If I accelerate up to 75 and back off, as soon as I get out of the throttle the vibration is gone, until I get on the throttle again.

Last year, I had the Intake system cleaned, and it ran GREAT after that. I also replaced the plugs. The engine has 125,000 miles on it. I inherited this from my mother, and IIRC she started having the same problem after a trip to Alaska, when they drove through Canada. Her mechanic thought it had something to do with Canadian gas. I tried different grades from 87 to 93 octane and it makes no difference.

The engine is stock with the exception of a K&N Cold Air intake and filter. The suspension is all new (shocks, leaf springs, bearings) and the tires are new Michelin LTX Touring tires. I don't think this is suspension related because when I back off the gas the vibration stops, so it seems that it is related to the engine load.

I am still looking through my mothers paperwork to find out what maintenance has been done on it. Any suggestions on this problem are welcome!
Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Could easily be a bad u joint in the drive line or a bad pinion bearing. I had the same thing on my rear drive line and it was a bad u joint.