Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough idle, sputtering, and scan gauge 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rough idle, sputtering, and scan gauge 2

Hey guys so I thought I had fixed the rough idle at when at a stop....but apparently not. I had cleaned the IAC because that's what fixed it the last time. However after cleaning it again it came back and it rough idle happens more often now even at running temp, it also gets worse whenever I turn on the heater/defroster (it's been cold the past couple mornings).
I know it's been a while since the cap/rotor/plugs/wires have been changed so I plan to do that hopefully this weekend. Oil is good but will probably change it again just to make sure. Any insight as to what else might be causing this?

Also the past couple days I will start up the XJ and it starts to run rough, the only way I can explain it is it sounds like an old beat up truck, like a constant sputter...after a few minutes it would go away and it wouldn't happen at running temp, however today, went to a store and came out and started it and it started doing it again and it took me getting up to 20-25mph before it started to run right.....it hasn't thrown any codes/check engine light. Does this have to do with problem 1??

Also I was going to buy a Scan Gauge 2 to keep a better real time check on engine temps and diagnostics, so what's everyone's take on them?

It's a 1998 4.0L XJ AW4 limited.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Anyone?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

We have 2 ScanGauges, a I and a II......great bang for the buck, IMHO. Hard to beat plug-n-play and move from one OBD-II vehicle to another. When it comes to coolant temps, the ScanGauge is the truth teller, not some goofy factory gauge that points to the middle year round. Since our janer-plainer XJ has idiot lights, I think we have the best of both worlds.....bright red (attention grabbing) lights if something should go wrong and digital read outs.

Last edited by djb383; 05-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Vonguido
........I know it's been a while since the cap/rotor/plugs/wires have been changed
That's where I'd start, and go from there.....a little XJ TLC.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by djb383

That's where I'd start, and go from there.....a little XJ TLC.
I'm hoping that fixes it. I'm just worried its something worse. Just picked up a second job to help put some extra cash aside so I can do even more overhauls so I can take it to Moab next year.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
We have 2 ScanGauges, a I and a II......great bang for the buck, IMHO. Hard to beat plug-n-play and move from one OBD-II vehicle to another. When it comes to coolant temps, the ScanGauge is the truth teller, not some goofy factory gauge that points to the middle year round. Since our janer-plainer XJ has idiot lights, I think we have the best of both worlds.....bright red (attention grabbing) lights if something should go wrong and digital read outs.
The cooling system is what scares me the most which is the main reason I want to get one cause I don't trust the needle gauges as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM

So something new. I went to go drive it to work tonight and it started up rough and then started to drive down the road and the check engine light came on , then started to blink....so turned around and parked it now taking the wife's car to work. Gonna pull the code on it tomorrow, hoping this isn't gonna be an expensive fix and that a tune up will fix it.