Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough idle and a shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate
Exclamation Rough idle and a shake

This is rather inclusive, bare with me!

Just a reminder, this kinda started out of the blue one day with no real provocation

The cap and rotor appear to be in relatively good condition.

Here are some other things i have noticed...

This all started with what i consider a bad tank of gas. I used HEET and waited overnight - seemed to do the trick...but then the engine was back running like a lawnmower with light smoke when pressing the accelarator. First thought was head gasket. HOWEVER, there is no milky coolant. There is a moist exhaust but after a paper test- its cabon and water NOT oil, also confirmed by 2 parts stores. The blower fan is working but no heat is coming out of the vents. (and YES the slider was set to HEAT, you could hear the flap open and close as well)
The vacuum system doesn't seem to have much pulling power
When I had to limp it home @ 3 am that morning on the interstate, she wouldn't do over 45 and when you let off the accelerator it would kinda jerk alittle
I should mention the engine temp and oil were just slightly over normal, which leads me to think it might not be quite as bad as it all sounds
The dash displays where all rather dim/as were the head lights - i have a red top optima battery though i have never replaced the alternator since taking ownership.
A while back i noticed i might have crushed the AC hose that runs along the right side of the engine (a pretty good reason I dont have AC, currently)
Also I've been battling the engine temps for a while, see below. Most recently the jeep will key on, radio works fine, no dimming of overhead lamp, but it will not turn over.

new parts that have been added prior to any issues i am currently having
(all things listed here have been working fine for almost 4 months before this current issue):
radiator,water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, distributor rotor, starter, CPS, flexplate, tires

what should i do from here?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

did you check your tps,iac and coolant temp and maybe mat? sensors? also o2 sensors? your alt. might be going bad too. check your heater hoses off the heater core to see if they are hot to see if your valve under the hood is moving,if u have one, maybe vac line is off it. i thought someone said the newer cherokees dont have that directional valve anymore. not sure what years.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. You mentioned lights were dim. Freshen ALL electrical grounds, as they are a common cause of electrical "gremlins". What does the voltage gauge read on your dash? With a good battery and alternator, you should be roughly in the 13.5 t0 14.0 range. If you are not test your alternator. Battery should be tested by a LOAD TEST, which can be done for free at any parts store.

2. Freshen all tuneup hardware. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

3. Test your "throttle position sensor". Can be responsible for any throttle related issue

4. Test your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. Only accurate way to determine if you have good fuel delivery.

5. If you have ever seen a check engine light, have computer checked with a code reader or a scan tool for stored codes.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate
Post i forgot the codes

I did fail to mention the codes that popped up on OB2 @ Advance

P0171 code, running lean

P0172 code, running too rich(this showed up the second time

P0301 code, misfire cyl. 1 (orginal code that i cleared the first time)

P0300 code, multiple cylinder misfire (2nd time i had CEL this came up)

ONE other thing.... i have notices my driver floor has water build up when its wet or snowy, but the part i dont understand is the corrosion like you get on your battery terminals - on my floor. I've not had many issues electrically.

Hoping someone can guide me from here....
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

See #4 on my reply. Test your FUEL PRESSURE with a gauge. Call around, some parts stores will rent you this tool.

Poor fuel pressure can cause both your symptoms and your code.

You must adopt a "testing" based strategy to figure this out! Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Post pressure test

Is the pressure test to check the fuel pump? I've had the jeep almost 2 years and never changed it (wont be surprised if it is)

I did changed the fuel filter last year after it started leaking. Thats 1200 miles, 5 good muddin trips, and a hundred fire calls later lol

Guess its a Jeep thing ^_^