Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Road trip problems with front driveshaft need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO 6Cyl
Exclamation Road trip problems with front driveshaft need help

my 1994 xj with a 4.0 HO 6cyl 5 speed manual trans ax15 & Np231 transfer case, 4X4
i was driving it from Texas to Idaho and my front driveshaft was going bad causing vibrations and i couldn't get it off well it finally locked up while driving and forced me to pull over after looking at it the u joint near the transfer case had blown up and was locked and after beating on it for hours still couldn't get it off, finally a local person helped tow me to his shop and i got the front driveshaft off. then we tried to pull start it and it started but when i went to push the clutch in it died so we pull started it again and i got it into gear quickly and took off but it was bucking and sputtering and then shut down again, pulled it back and i got the starter working then it would idle fine until i gave it gas then the idle would get rough and it would spit and sputter!!

i have checked the plugs they are fine, i put a new tps sensor on, i put a new fuel filter on, i even pulled the gas tank cause i ran that E85 crap in it, and with all the vibrations i lost some of the mounting bolts out of the bell housing on the transmission!! the clutch and crank position sensor where replaced a year ago and i just put a new slave cylinder on the transmission!!
just did a fresh oil change before i started the road trip
any suggestions would be appreciated
my jeep is still broke down in Wyoming and i have to figure out a way to get it to Idaho!!!! please help!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I suppose you know by now that E85 is not what we call 89 octane ethanol fuel, but is 85% alcohol and used in special vehicles. Sorry for your crappy luck.