Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Right wheel Shakes past 35Mph Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Right wheel Shakes past 35Mph Help!

I Just Bought a Jeep cherokee 1996 Sport Edition. Has a 4.5' Rubicon Express Lift with 33 Inc buggers. When I bought it the guy said it had a faulty Wheel hub On the Front Right wheel, I replaced it and Tighten everything up. Everytime i go past 30-35mph the right wheel begins to Shake drastically.
Some of my Friends are saying it could be the Alignment..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 of course

Could be the dreaded Death Wobble. Many things are fault there, here's a useful link if you scroll a bit down it has a good description of what causes all that.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/can...-wobble-23747/

Also, first and probably cheapest. Try and have the wheel rebalance.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Thanks. Yea.. Everyone Keeps telling me it maybe the rebalance or the Alignment... But no Tire shop here can do it since My Jeep Is lifted and My Tires are to wide.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

California must have some crappy tire shops, I live in old people land and have shops that balanced my 37" and aligned.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Divinusx
Thanks. Yea.. Everyone Keeps telling me it maybe the rebalance or the Alignment... But no Tire shop here can do it since My Jeep Is lifted and My Tires are to wide.
wow that sucks. you can find a good diy on allignment just by googling it though. Its really easy to do, at least to check it. not too sure about the balance though. You dont have a discount tire there? They do pretty big on here in WA
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by cob24
wow that sucks. you can find a good diy on allignment just by googling it though. Its really easy to do, at least to check it. not too sure about the balance though. You dont have a discount tire there? They do pretty big on here in WA
The Closest Part that has a Tire shop is about 20miles away and I really don't want to risk doing more damage to it... Im planning to put some 32' All terrains that are 10.5 width tomorrow, good year said they could do those .. hopefully its just the allignment and nothing worst.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Bad alignments don't cause shaking.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
Bad alignments don't cause shaking.
I don't Think it would too but from the link MyNameIsNick It seems some people did an alignment and it worked for them so i think i may give that a try.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Its not the alignment its self but the components that go bad that cause the shake. Alignments make your vehicle drive straight thats all. Paying to have it aligned with out checking the components first is a waste of money.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Its not the alignment its self but the components that go bad that cause the shake. Alignments make your vehicle drive straight thats all. Paying to have it aligned with out checking the components first is a waste of money.
Yea Im Having My Familys friend Whos a Mechanic Come Tomorrow hopefully he can give me an idea of what maybe wrong with and if its just the alignment it will be an easy fix.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

This is correct.

Tire balancing big tires should be no big deal. I'd be amazed if Discount Tire could not do it.

You can check the status of the wear parts in your front end easily. Just have a helper waggle the steering wheel back and forth a couple inches while you visually watch each pivot (TRE, pitman, etc.). If you see ANY wiggle in a part, it is worn. More wiggle, more wear...but it can also be because the part was never torqued to spec. That is what was wrong with mine. It wandered around so badly it would spontaneously change lanes - no kidding. Upon investigation, I found all new parts but the guy had put the castle nuts on "finger tight". I tightened everything to spec. No more wander.

For ball joints you have to get the tire off the ground with a jack then grab the tire at Noon and six o'clock and try to wiggle. If you get any play...you got worn ball joints.

If you grab it at nine and three o'clock and find any play, you've got worn tre's or wheel bearings, etc.

Any play will cause shakes, death wobble, vibration, and PREVENT you from aligning the vehicle. An alignment sets the toe-in to within 1/8" Max (I think the spec is "0 to 1/8" or something like that). Any wear - or accumulated wear from several parts - greater than 1/8" will show up as wander, vibration, drift, etc. The worse the wear, the worse the problem.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CAEMI
This is correct.

Tire balancing big tires should be no big deal. I'd be amazed if Discount Tire could not do it.

You can check the status of the wear parts in your front end easily. Just have a helper waggle the steering wheel back and forth a couple inches while you visually watch each pivot (TRE, pitman, etc.). If you see ANY wiggle in a part, it is worn. More wiggle, more wear...but it can also be because the part was never torqued to spec. That is what was wrong with mine. It wandered around so badly it would spontaneously change lanes - no kidding. Upon investigation, I found all new parts but the guy had put the castle nuts on "finger tight". I tightened everything to spec. No more wander.

For ball joints you have to get the tire off the ground with a jack then grab the tire at Noon and six o'clock and try to wiggle. If you get any play...you got worn ball joints.

If you grab it at nine and three o'clock and find any play, you've got worn tre's or wheel bearings, etc.

Any play will cause shakes, death wobble, vibration, and PREVENT you from aligning the vehicle. An alignment sets the toe-in to within 1/8" Max (I think the spec is "0 to 1/8" or something like that). Any wear - or accumulated wear from several parts - greater than 1/8" will show up as wander, vibration, drift, etc. The worse the wear, the worse the problem.
Thanks for that info. When We wiggled the steering wheel I had my schools Auto Teacher look at the bottom and he noticed that the tie rod end was loose and that was probably the problem.. Me and A friend spent about an hour to dissassemble the tires to tighten the tie rod, once we put it back together we went for a test drive it and continued to do the Death Wobble.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Year: 1998

Just wash the mud out from the inside of your rim! haha
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by nowayitstaysjeep
Just wash the mud out from the inside of your rim! haha
Happened to me before. As soon as I hit the highway I thought a wheel was fallen off!

Quick Reply: Right wheel Shakes past 35Mph Help!