Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

RI Emissions - sample too dilute?!?!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default RI Emissions - sample too dilute?!?!

Hi all - Just recently moved to RI, which means for the first time in 10 years, the Cherokee is subject to emissions testing in addition to the usual safety inspection. She passed safety no problem, but I'm having an issue getting an emissions reading. The unit keeps coming up "Sample too dilute - check for exhaust leak...". I got under her with a flashlight and did not see (or feel when running) any obvious leaks in the exhaust (checked the exhaust manifold as well) - only thing I found somewhat unusual was quite a bit of moisture coming out of the tailpipe (it wasn't really warmed up when I did the test), as well as coming out of the sniffer post-test.

I'll be bringing it back for one more try today after driving about an hour straight from work, but I'm not all that confident it will make a difference. Anyone experience this or have any thoughts as to where to look next?
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Being fully warmed up may make a difference in the test results. Get it good and hot, re-test and see what happens.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to pass an emission test when the engine is cold is not a good idea........
Make sure your vehicle is plenty warmed up at operating temperature..
Also, if there is a long line at the testing station, don't sit in line with the vehicle idling..........Shut it off, and restart it when you need to move up in line.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Well, I went in after driving the hour plus (although the engine cooled off substantially by the time they got it to ride on the dynamometer properly), but the test still came up with sample too dilute. They tried 2 different probes with the same result. I'm at a loss as to where to go next (other than trying to test at a different station)...
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Update: Well, I took it to another shop and passed emissions (needed some new brake lines & rear wheel cylinder, but that's another thread). However, when I looked over the printout all the values read "N/A". I was about to go ask for more info about my emissions, but then I glanced at that blue sticker on my window (good for 2 years!) and decided to let sleeping dogs lie. I'm curious, but frankly, it's emissions and I haven't had that info in 10+ years.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It's RI, lol. Just slip Vinny a 20 and be on your way.