Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Catalytic converter rattling...California spec, but I live in FL. - do I need to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Catalytic converter rattling...California spec, but I live in FL. - do I need to buy

a California compliant converter? They're quite a bit more expensive and I have no plans to move to California.

If I buy a direct fit for my vehicle but the website says "not for use in California" will it throw a CEL? Externally, it looks identical to the OEM- just want to make sure there are no internal differences.

1998, 4.0, Auto, 4x4 California emissions...

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by donkengine
a California compliant converter? They're quite a bit more expensive and I have no plans to move to California.

If I buy a direct fit for my vehicle but the website says "not for use in California" will it throw a CEL? Externally, it looks identical to the OEM- just want to make sure there are no internal differences.

1998, 4.0, Auto, 4x4 California emissions...

Thanks!
a California compliant converter? They're quite a bit more expensive and I have no plans to move to California. Legally if the vehicle came from the factory with California emissions you need to replace it with a California compliant converter (I think it is a BS law since your emissions would be no worse than a Fed-emissions vehicle which could be sold in your state new, but technically you must replace the converter with one equivalent to what it came with OE). With that being said since Florida has no inspection or emissions (last I checked) it is unlikely to be an issue for you to use a Fed-emissions compliant converter, however if you move to a state that has emissions inspection you will likely fail (even if the state doesn't require California emissions).

If I buy a direct fit for my vehicle but the website says "not for use in California" will it throw a CEL? Externally, it looks identical to the OEM- just want to make sure there are no internal differences. It should fit physically, whether or not it will throw a CEL is hard to say (someone else may be able to comment on this) I'm not sure if the system is sensitive enough to detect a non-California emissions converter.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

technically yes, the federal law reads that you need to keep all the emissions equipment OEM spec, which in your case means CA emissions spec.

will it throw a code if you don't? no.
Will anyone care/notice if you install a 49-state cat instead? - i'll leave that one up to your judgement and wallet to decide...but probably not as long as you have a cat that functions to federal specs.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

If you have no smog inspection requirement, it will work fine. Some shops will not install unless it is OEM compliant, so be sure to run it by the shop first, unless it is all bolt-on and you will be installing the part yourself.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Thanks. The shop I took it to didn't even ask, they just quoted me for welding in a universal converter.

I'm going to order a direct fit and clamp it in. I can weld and have 3 welders but I like the idea of being able to r&r exhaust components with a wrench.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by donkengine
Thanks. The shop I took it to didn't even ask, they just quoted me for welding in a universal converter.

I'm going to order a direct fit and clamp it in. I can weld and have 3 welders but I like the idea of being able to r&r exhaust components with a wrench.
Direct bolt on......

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/