Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rhythmic squeak while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rhythmic squeak while driving...

I've just finished replacing a ton of stuff on my jeep the latest being the front brakes and rotors. I'd had a squeak coming from the front end that I thought was brake related but after replacing them it's still there. Only while driving, if stopped and revving the engine in neutral it's not there, so I'm assuming it's not engine related...

Counting today's brake job I've replaced in the last few months, front hubs, driveshaft u joints, power steering gear box, all tie rods and bars with a zj upgrade, and the power steering pump... A few months back I had the rear brakes replaced by a shop...

Any suggestions on what I should go looking for?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Does turning make any difference?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I would suggest getting a front wheel off the ground and spinning it. I had a similar issue thinking it was a wheel bearing. When I rotated the front wheel I heard the squeak clearly coming from the front driveshaft...more specifically the double joint at the transfer case. Pulled the driveshaft and rebuilt it. Problem solved.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 PM

Turning doesn't seem to make a difference... Not that I've noticed anyway. I'll take it out for a drive and see though. Anything I'm listening for while I do that other than it going away?

I'll put it back up on the jack and give it a few turns... One wheel at a time? Tranny and transfer case in neutral I assume?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

I'm going more for getting worse when turning, could be an axle ujoint. And while you got it lifted up, rock the wheel back and forth, holding it from the top and bottom, to test the wheel bearings.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
I'm going more for getting worse when turning, could be an axle ujoint. And while you got it lifted up, rock the wheel back and forth, holding it from the top and bottom, to test the wheel bearings.
Right axle unjointed went out little over a year ago and I know what that sounded like and this doesn't sound the same. That was more of a thud thud thud while this is more of a squeak squeak squeak... I'll check the bearings (I assume you mean the hub bearings right?) but like I said they were replaced less than 6 months ago. Could it have gone out that quick?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by paul81
Right axle unjointed went out little over a year ago and I know what that sounded like and this doesn't sound the same. That was more of a thud thud thud while this is more of a squeak squeak squeak... I'll check the bearings (I assume you mean the hub bearings right?) but like I said they were replaced less than 6 months ago. Could it have gone out that quick?
Oh I missed that on your list lol. Never know, it's not unheard of for brand new parts to be junk.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Oh I missed that on your list lol. Never know, it's not unheard of for brand new parts to be junk.
Yeah...

Well I'll have to jack it up tomorrow morning. It's to dark out now. On the quick drive though I didn't notice any difference one way or another while turning.

I did a quick visual inspection and grabbed the driveshafts to feel for play in the joints but they 'seem' fine... Same for the wheel u joints.

Put the tcase in neutral and cycled through the gears on the transmission but didn't hear anything in doing that.

This car is such a headache and I have no space to work on it and just a small assortment of basic tools. :/
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paul81
One wheel at a time? Tranny and transfer case in neutral I assume?
Yes, and yes. I'm betting you'll find a dry u-joint.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Yes, and yes. I'm betting you'll find a dry u-joint.
Okay cool thanks. I'll let you know tomorrow what I find.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Okay got both tires off the ground and spun them and can't find anything... Only thing I heard was the clicking from the locker since just one tire was turning...

Didn't hear any squeaks or anything like when Im driving it. U joints seem firm though it's a fair chance they need to be replaced soon anyway.

Pushed them around a bit and didn't notice any movement with the hubs. They seemed solid. Though, I may have a little play in the upper driver's side ball joint... Next thing in the list I guess.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Year: 1998

What about the u-joints in the drive shaft front and rear? You can remove front drive shaft and drive it as way to rule it in or out of the issue. Also on rear drive shaft where it attaches to the TC has a boot (at least mine does) and I have had an annoying squeak from there. I put it on for jack stands and put it in drive on idle to see where the squeak was as I too thought it was front end.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:51 PM

U joints in the driveshaft to the rear diff were replaced during my last time under the car two months ago.

I don't have stands, had to buy a jack which I'll have to return but I'll see if I can get the rear up and 'drive' it. I was wondering if I should do that and listen to it when stuff is spinning. If I had stands I'd get all four off the ground and put it in 4h and let stuff spin.

I'm probably going to have to wait a week and head to my friend who's got a ton of tools and take a look there when he's off... It's 100+ mile drive though and not knowing where the noise is coming from is bothering me.

How easy is it to disconnect the front drive shaft and is there any harm in doing that?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Year: 1998

Pretty easy, just 8 bolts of 8mm size. It can be done without jacking it up. You may need to put in neutral and roll it a bit to get the other 2 bolts near TC.

I've never driven up to highway speeds without front DS so hopefully you can hear this noise at lower speeds or somebody else can chime in if there is a problem with higher speeds (45+) without from DS.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

^^^
My front is currently out waiting for a rebuild. It drives better at highway speeds than it ever did with the driveshaft in. No vibes, very smooth.

Mine wasn't squeaking, it was a wheel speed related knocking. The noise completely disappeared when the front shaft was removed.

Quick Reply: Rhythmic squeak while driving...