Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rewiring door speakers for beginners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Rewiring door speakers for beginners!

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am having speaker trouble.

I'm in the UK, and my dad has a 1998 Cherokee with the 4.0, and the Infinity speakers, which he's giving to me.

The driver's door main speaker was intermittent for ages, now doesn't work at all, and the tweeter comes and goes when I open the door. I know loads of people have had this problem, but I couldn't find anything in enough detail to help me.

I've figured that I probably need to rewire the speakers, but as I'm 17, and I've never done anything like this, I want to know what I'm doing before I start.

How do I rewire the speakers? I really need you to go into the basics as much as possible!

How do I remove the door panel?
How do I find the break in the wire?
How do I swap the old wire for a new one?
How far do I have to rewire? (Do I have to go all the way back to the amp under the rear seat?)
How long might it take?
What tools do I need?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but any help would be brilliant. If any of you have any pictures, could you post those too?

Thanks in advance!
Bryn
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

In my '99 the speaker wires were wrapped with the other wires (power locks/windows/mirrors). The speaker wires broke in the boot, multiple times it would seem by the way the previous owner spliced it 4 times on 1 strand and 2 times on the other...

I started with a spool of 16gauge wire at the dash with the radio out, ran it within the dash (your route doesn't matter as long as the wire doesn't ride on anything that moves or is sharp) and to the kick-panel area. Keeping the wire on the spool until you are done entirely with that side will save you from cutting it too short and wasting the wire.

Using the old wire to pull my new wire through was impossible, so I used a flat-head screwdriver to pop the boot within the kick-panel as well as the boot between the door and the vehicle. The kick-panel boot is big as it goes into the sheetmetal but was so tight around the factory wiring that I couldn't slide anything through, so I VERY carefully punched a hole through the rubber portion above the original wiring and slid my 16gauge wire through it.

Then I fished it through the between-door boot and into the door. Give yourself plenty of slack in the wire thus relieving tension to lessen the chance of the new wire breaking. Then hook it up to whatever speaker you are running. Re-secure both boots, they mash in pretty easily and have a nice rim that rides the sheetmetal, and make certain they are seated well so that your wiring never touches bare metal.

Hook it up properly to the stereo and rinse and repeat on the other side and you are golden.COPIED FROM PREVIOUS POST.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/PARKER%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/PARKER%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:/Users/PARKER%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

no need to run it all the way back to the radio. There is a splice point in the driver's side kick panel. Replace the wire from that point to the speaker in the door and you'll be golden.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio question

So I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I looked it up in the stereo output wattage is like 66 if I bought a Sony speaker that did more than 66 output what I have to rewire the doors or would it be good
Old 09-28-2023, 09:31 PM

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The wattage that the amp is putting out is the number that matters, not the max power rating of the speaker. Unless you change the resistance of the speakers, using 2 ohm models for instance, the amplifier will continue to put out the same wattage.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L