Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Review: Treadwright BFG A/T 30" retreads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Review: Treadwright BFG A/T 30" retreads.

I got 5 treadwright 30" A/T BFG retreads mounted last friday, I've had time to drive them on highway, off-road, and in the snow (light) since then. Here's the verdict:

Fit: These tires fill up the wheel well, giving my XJ a more beefy look. They have very minimal rubbing on turns, and no rubbing in back on flexes (I don't have front disconnects yet....slacker.). My spare tire also fits in the stock mount spot, but does require some fighting with the liftgate to close.

Balance: They balance terribly, no lie. I looked at the spare, two massive weights on one side to balance it out, I can feel some vibe coming from the rear end not being balanced so well.

Road noise: Both on highway and off, these tires are quiet. No more noise than my other ones, even at speeds of 75mph they didn't make much noise at all, would easily blend in with other vehicle noise.

Off-road performance: The tires handled well, even when aired down to 20~25 psi. Very grippy overall, impressive handling on the sandy/rocky trail I went on (see trail report: lefthand canyon).

Weather: I had a few different times to test these out on snow and ice. On the trail, there were a couple spots where there was some old snow on the ground. On regular snow, these tires handled fine, with good grip and plenty of stopping power. On ice, these tires handled decently too, including the patch of ice I went over on about a 30% grade, but I could not start from a dead stop on this patch of ice, I had to back up until I was on gravel; they did hold up their speed alright though.

Delivery time: Alright, I'll give them the holiday mercy for delivery time, but it was still longer than posted. At time of order, delivery time was expected to be 6-10 business days. I called them once, they said they would look into why the delivery was taking so long, and I should get a call the next morning. I did not recieve that call, but after heckling the man I spoke with that day, I finally got a tracking number out of him. After about business day 12, the tires arrived on my front porch, I did not sign for the tires. Because no signature was required, you may want to request a signature upon delivery or else make sure someone is home.

Treadwright service: Service was decent, at best. I ordered over the phone. They were anxious to get my payment information, but gave me very little information on the tires themselves until I asked for it. At the end of the call, I noticed they neglected to mention how much these five tires would be, they said a figure around $400.

Ratings:
Grip: 4.7/5 - Other than a patch of ice I was on, I encountered very little in the way of grip problems, these tires hav excellent traction:
Noise: 5/5 - Way quieter than I expected, also way quieter than comparable A/T tires I have heard on vehicles with them equipped.
Cost: 5/5 - Even after $62.50 mounting fee (the cheapest I could find, Big O tires did mount/balance for this amount, I kept the old tires to resell.), these tires were the cheapest for five all-terrains I could find: $473.40, after all was said and done.
Balance: 3/5 - They're balanced at lower speeds, but develop vibe on the highway after about 60 mph; this shouldn't be too big of a problem since I'm rarely up that high speed.
Treadwright service: 2/5 - The staff was semi-helpful in pointing me in the right direction, but failed to verify information or ship in an expiditious manner. When they promised to call back, they again failed here. I had to call them three different times in order to get the shipping information for my tires, after they were already two days late.

Overall: 4.5/5 - these tires work great for what I need, but I was not very happy with treadwright's performance. The amount of weight these things need to balance also upsets me.

Last edited by hubbazoot; 01-05-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the review. I'm surprised they were hard to balance. From what i've been reading about these, they require little to no weights to balance em. Some even didn't bother balancing them and they rode smooth.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Year: 1995

Thanks for the review. They look big for 30", I've heard that they are a little taller due to the re-tread, is that true? I wonder if the other tread style balance better.

I often thought about trying them just for the price. But since right now my XJ see's alot of highway miles and the old saying 'you get what you pay for" always comes to mind I've held off.

I too have called them just to try to get info and they weren't exactly helpfull. Kind of got the feeling they were thinking "are you going to buy tires or not because I have better things to do than answer questions." Wich is a shame because money was tight and I needed new tires for my TJ so if they had been a little more friendly on the phone they probally would have had my buisness.

Maybe when I'ts time for some new rubber for my CJ I'll give them a chance,
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

I've had almost the exact opposite results from my 31" M/T retreads. They balanced well with little weight (especially compared to my old Interco tires), and have been quite impressive both on and off road. And they arrived at my door in 4 days.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Year: 1996

I also had a fantastic experience with Treadwright. I ordered the 31" A/T's, and the people I talked to on the phone were more then helpful, and delivery was quicker then expected. They had shipped them within a few hours of my purchase. As far as balancing, mine balanced up with no issue, and very little weight.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
I've had almost the exact opposite results from my 31" M/T retreads. They balanced well with little weight (especially compared to my old Interco tires), and have been quite impressive both on and off road. And they arrived at my door in 4 days.
X's 2 - delivery was fast and they balanced well.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
X's 2 - delivery was fast and they balanced well.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love them. I've gotten compliments from total strangers about how good they look. I love the really meaty look they got right now.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

i bought me a set of 35's when they were high-tech retreading.I rode them about 4 years.never had any problems and they balanced well.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

really wish they sold 32's...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM

So I was just on the Treadwright site and could not find any 31 X 10.5 M/T were can I get some for that price. I guessing there sold out
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
So I was just on the Treadwright site and could not find any 31 X 10.5 M/T were can I get some for that price. I guessing there sold out

http://treadwright.com/Tires-31x10_50R15_M_T-P16.aspx

http://treadwright.com/Tires-31x10_5...ULTRA-P22.aspx

and all the 31's they sell..

http://treadwright.com/SearchResults...reendiamond=-1