Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Requesting Assistance - 1985 xj 2.5L Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 2.5L
Default Requesting Assistance - 1985 xj 2.5L Issues

Backround:
So it all started when I bought a 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with the 2.5L I4 and 5 speed manual transmission. When I bought the Jeep it fired right up the first time when the key was turned and it idled in a manner that was acceptable and got decent gas mileage averaging 335 miles per tank. So about a month ago is when I started having the following problems: very hard start must have gas pedal full depressed to the floor to start...Most of the time. Occasionally it does start up without every using the gas pedal but when that happens the idle goes extremely high and when the gas pedal is feathered it then goes into a cycle were it idles very low and seems starved fuel momentarily surging to an idle a bit higher and returns to the low barely running idle state. Also the Jeep now diesels for various lengths of time when its turned off. And my gas mileage now somewhere between bad and terrible getting only 127 on the last tank.
Requesting assistance resolving my Jeeps issues as well as were I can find the correct answers to the following:

1. Vacuum diagram- I know mine are not right. There is two lines cap coming off the carb, and several others on the drivers side of the motor that have be disconnected or capped. Would like to return the right hoses to the correct places. I'll take some pictures today to post
2. Nutter Bypass- I'm still not sure if I can do this? If i can do I need and new distributor?
3. What causes having to have the gas pedal to the floor in order to start the Jeep?
4. What causes my idle issues?
5. How do I set/adjust my idle
6. There are three relays on the passenger fender wall in the engine bay. What are they?
7. On the drivers side of the engine bay there is what hayes calls diagnostic connectors and a relay close to them. How do I use the diagnostic connecters? What is that relay?

I really really appreciate any help with these issues and any suggestions anyone may have. I am slightly lost, a bit overwhelmed and could be confused...maybe. Pictures to follow.
​​​