Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing transfer case rear oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replacing transfer case rear oil seal

I noticed tonight when I got home from work that I had a nice sized puddle of tranny fluid on my driveway. Its leaking out of the rear of the transfer case. Looks like the seal might be shot. Never having replaced one of these is it difficult to do? Does that yoke have to come off?
Are there any special tools needed or anything? Hopefully I can pick one of these up at the local auto parts store.
I also noticed I have a broken wire going to my 02 sensor as you can also see in the pic, but I can handle that, no problem, but this seal has me worried.

Anyone with any wisdom on fixing this they can share with me?
Heres a pic

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

Drain oil first. Dependin on which plugs are on your t case you might need a 30mm socket which is rediculous. I used a chisel and hammer to turn mine loose and tighten it. Driveshaft needs to come off at the axle first then slide the yoke off the t case output shaft. Three bolts hold the tail housing on, remove those. Take tail housing assembly in to auto store to make sure the right part is purchased. There is confusion about what part is right for what years. Big surprise right? I can't get the right part if my life depends on it.

Not too bad all in all. Clean surfaces with small wire brush and solvent then apply RTV sealant and reinstall the tail housing. Install driveshaft and fill t case. That's it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Easy fix for the seal you can go one of two way. One leave the housing on the jeep and remove the seal and replace or two take housing off and clean rtv off both sides, remove seal then install. With a seal puller just pull it out or you can also do it with a screwdriver but you gotta be careful not to cut into the housing. installing is you can tap it in but you gotta go even or use like a 2 1/2 pipe and knock it in even still. Taking off the housing is easier but you gotta do some extra but it how comfortable you are but either way works. And don't forget the lube the seal before putting the driveshaft back on.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

You can never use too much lube. Important part that I failed to mention.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i've changed many of these.
all you have to do is remove the drive shaft, pull the seal, lube new seal and tap it in with a plastic mallet or wood and hammer. be careful not to damage the lip of the seal.

no need to drain the case or remove the tail stock. you can do this in about half an hour.
The following users liked this post:
jeeperjohn83 (09-06-2019)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by doubleg
I noticed tonight when I got home from work that I had a nice sized puddle of tranny fluid on my driveway. Its leaking out of the rear of the transfer case. Looks like the seal might be shot. Never having replaced one of these is it difficult to do? Does that yoke have to come off?
Are there any special tools needed or anything? Hopefully I can pick one of these up at the local auto parts store.
I also noticed I have a broken wire going to my 02 sensor as you can also see in the pic, but I can handle that, no problem, but this seal has me worried.

Anyone with any wisdom on fixing this they can share with me?
Heres a pic

Thanks
Greg
one more thing by the look of the water that might have some tranny fluid in it id drain/change
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

one more thing by the look of the water that might have some tranny fluid in it id drain/change
I thought that transfer case took transmission fluid?? Ive never drained a case before can I drain in with it in the Jeep? 30mm socket huh?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

It most definitely does take trans fluid. It looks quite milky is what freegdr was saying. Probably contaminated with water.

The 30mm isn't on all t cases. You might have an allen key plug. Don't know the size of it though.

The drain can be performed with the t case on the Jeep as well as the whole process for replacing the seal. I only suggested taking the tail housing off because when I have three bolts standing in my way between working on my back and standing at my bench, I choose standing at my bench. Just makes it more convenient when getting the old seal out and the new in.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I replaced the seal a couple of weeks ago and now the new one is leaking. WTH? I used an Autozone seal. Do you guys think thats what my problem is? Do I need to go to the dealership and pick one up there. I pretty much figured they were all made in the same place anyway.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by caged
i've changed many of these.
all you have to do is remove the drive shaft, pull the seal, lube new seal and tap it in with a plastic mallet or wood and hammer. be careful not to damage the lip of the seal.

no need to drain the case or remove the tail stock. you can do this in about half an hour.

Agree with you. Longest part is taking DShaft out
The following users liked this post:
jeeperjohn83 (09-06-2019)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yup, and if you wanna change out the tranny fluid, just be sure the fill plug comes out before you remove the drain plug. lol.

i just did another one the other day.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Did I read on here somewhere, or maybe it was on another forum that people are putting a small bead of RTV around the seal, just to help it seal better?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

I replaced the seal a couple of weeks ago and now the new one is leaking. WTH? I used an Autozone seal. Do you guys think thats what my problem is? Do I need to go to the dealership and pick one up there. I pretty much figured they were all made in the same place anyway.
2 possibilities: Might have a bent drive shaft. Or you could have possibly damaged the new seal when u were installing it. I'd try a new seal and if it continues may be the shaft. Good luck!!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Did I read on here somewhere, or maybe it was on another forum that people are putting a small bead of RTV around the seal, just to help it seal better?
I've nvr heard of this. The seal is a really tight fit in the housing so there is no need for sealant.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Year: 1999

I had to do mine twice ... lol the one was leaking after install .. the second one i did out rtv around .... also found that I broke a snap ring inside the housing and the output shaft was moving in and out witch is what made the first new seal bad ...... double check your output shaft and see if you can move it in and out if so you may have broke a snap ring...
good luck

Quick Reply: Replacing transfer case rear oil seal