Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing Rocker Panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Replacing Rocker Panel

So my driverside outer rocker panel is pretty rotted out...

Ive Been looking for a replacement rocker panel but all the ones i look at are for a 84-01 cherokee, except sport models 97-01 (like this one http://c2cfabrication.com/store/prod...roducts_id=309 ) i own a 97 sport. Anyone know where to find this?

Wasn't really looking to do steel tubing because ill have to knock out the passenger side panel which looks almost perfect.

id rather replace one side. But if it is going to cost more to get a panel for one side, maybe 2x4x(3/16? or 1/4?) or 2x6x(3/16? or 1/4?)steel tubing would be a good idea. If anyone knows of a good guide for steel tubing feel free to post it Only have until end of July so cutting it a little close on time and $.

Any help would be great...I am a repair newb, but i live with a mechanic with access to tools, except for welding tools :/

Last edited by Hushkababa; 07-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The rocker panel you linked will work fine for your rust repair (84-01 rocker panels are all identical, with the only difference being between the 2 and 4 door models), but no matter how you slice it, welding will need to be involved. That one you linked is a rust repair panel, and the intended use is: 1. cut out the rust on your rocker panel. 2. cut a piece out of the repair panel that matches the hole in your rocker. 3. weld in the new piece and primer/paint/bodywork.

If you wanted to actually replace the entire outer rocker, the process is quite a bit more involved, and requires drilling out numerous spot welds, pulling out all of the old rocker, and fitting up and welding the replacement. There's a good write up on NAXJA following this procedure:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ER+REPLACEMENT
And if you went the full replacement route, you'd want to buy something like this: http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-...ion&key=JP-64R