Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing Rear Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing Rear Leaf Springs

I was looking into replacing the rear leaf springs on my 2001 xj. I'm relatively novice, but have access to a lot of tools, a car lift, and some colleagues' time.
I was looking at the Dorman leaf springs on Amazon
here here
. I was wondering if there is anything else I should look into getting with that or if i should look at another product entirely, and anything else I might want to consider before proceeding. The whole suspension is sagging and rusted.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Both the Dorman's and Crowns are fine. Get new u-bolts. Inspect shackles for any signs of failure. Torque the u-bolts but just snug up the others. Don't torque them until the vehicle is sitting under it's own weight. In fact I slowly drove mine around the old farm road here to settle the suspension in before torqueing them down.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Hoping it all goes without issue.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

If you're pulling off the old leaf springs, start soaking the bolts with PB Blaster. A torch is your best friend if you can't get them off. They will most likely break if you use a breaker bar but you will replace the u-bolts anyway. You need to have the jeep up on jack stands and the axle on it's own jack so that you can raise/lower axle independently of Jeep. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you have tools and friends you'll probably do ok! It can be a brutal job, but not terribly complicated. I would recommend reading a few of the many posts about it, and watching a few of the youtube videos to help get ahead of some of the common problems people bump into on this job.

I went with the Dormans. Have had them on for about 20k miles now. They have been very good for the price. Settled to their advertised height, came with bushings, and I only paid about $90/each for them on Amazon (though they have gone up and down a few times since then).

I will also share what I think is the #1 mistake on this job. That is: Getting frustrated and deciding to cut/break stuff without thinking/researching first.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Like Jordan said, it's doable and not really "hard" in the technical sense but it is a workout and you need to be prepared to put the time in. It took me a few evenings to get it finished but I was taking good springs off a parts Jeep first and then taking them off my good Jeep as well so it kind of took twice as long.
The bolt under the rear seat is the bear and you can see lots of posts on that issue. I heated it up with a torch which burned the bushing but I wasn't re-using them so I didn't care. It was probably the hardest bolt I've ever removed.
The u-bolts are a piece of cake. Take lots of pictures so you get it all back together ok. Watch the rear brake hose when you lower the axle-I almost pulled mine off until I realized it was under tension as it was coming down with the body supported by the jack stands.