Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing power steering hose, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replacing power steering hose, need help...

Hey guys. I'm replacing the power steering pressure line on my '88 XJ. Seems like it should be a simple enough procedure, but I'm having difficulty getting to the end in the gearbox and it appears the only way to get to it is to remove either the lower radiator hose or the air filter housing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Year: 1994

I just replaced the lower radiator hose..... I removed the electric cooling fan (two screws & the connector) to get at the top of it. Removing the fan may help you (?)
The surprise to me was that the grille has to be removed ( 8 screws...easy ) to get to the radiator drain
Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

im replacing my ps pump on my 98

all the internet info says to remove the air filter box and use crowsfoot flare wrench
Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I'd considered taking the fan out to have a little more room, I think I'll give that a shot. Between that and the air filter box I should have enough space. i'm trying not to have to buy tools, money is a bit tight - which, of course, is why I'm wanting to do this myself in the first place...
Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Do NOT try to do this with a standard open end wrench. Use a flare nut wrench, or risk wrecking things.

You may be able to "rent" what you need at Autozone or Advance Auto. The deal is, you buy the tool, use it, and take it back for a full refund. That way they don't have to worry about taking a deposit, getting the tool back, blah blah blah. They just sell it at full price so they are covered, and if you bring it back, they refund the full price.

It's a really nice program, but they don't have ALL tools available, so make a phone call.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Do NOT try to do this with a standard open end wrench. Use a flare nut wrench, or risk wrecking things.

You may be able to "rent" what you need at Autozone or Advance Auto. The deal is, you buy the tool, use it, and take it back for a full refund. That way they don't have to worry about taking a deposit, getting the tool back, blah blah blah. They just sell it at full price so they are covered, and if you bring it back, they refund the full price.

It's a really nice program, but they don't have ALL tools available, so make a phone call.
what is a flare nut wrench? sorry, just trying to learn.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HarleyRob
what is a flare nut wrench? sorry, just trying to learn.

Don't ever be sorry for trying to learn!

Here, take
a close look at this a close look at this
. See how the ends are almost closed? The opening is just big enough so you can slip it over the metal line leading to the nut.

It's also thicker than a standard open end wrench. This puts more metal to metal contact on the nut, so you don't round it off.

Flare nuts are made of softer metal than standard nuts, and they are easy to round off. Once that happens, it's pain and vice-grip time, and then you need to replace it, of course. Major ugliness.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save yourself some frustration and pull both the fan and the air box. A total of 5 bolts between the 2 of them if I remember correctly. That will really open things up for you.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Don't ever be sorry for trying to learn!

Here, take a close look at this. See how the ends are almost closed? The opening is just big enough so you can slip it over the metal line leading to the nut.

It's also thicker than a standard open end wrench. This puts more metal to metal contact on the nut, so you don't round it off.

Flare nuts are made of softer metal than standard nuts, and they are easy to round off. Once that happens, it's pain and vice-grip time, and then you need to replace it, of course. Major ugliness.

And there you have it! Thanks for the school lesson, BRM. How/can you identify a flare nut just by looking at it?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steering line isn't a flare, it's an oring seal on the tube, a standard 18mm wrench has worked fine for the last 4 line swaps (two box swaps, and two line replacements). A flare wrench would work great, but if you don't have one don't panic. The airbox coming out is a great help. Even still it is tight regardless. Lower rad hose coming out would be a plus.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:30 AM

Thanks again, guys! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rockfrog
The steering line isn't a flare, it's an oring seal on the tube, a standard 18mm wrench has worked fine

Good to know. I haven't done mine yet, but it's needed. I assumed it was a flare from the previous discussion. My bad!

HarleyRob, you WILL run it flare nuts somewhere in your life, so to answer your question, I found a good article here and some pictures here and a really excellent discussion here.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Good to know. I haven't done mine yet, but it's needed. I assumed it was a flare from the previous discussion. My bad!

HarleyRob, you WILL run it flare nuts somewhere in your life, so to answer your question, I found a good article here and some pictures here and a really excellent discussion here.

The cheapy "found on the bottom of the harbor freight"® tools would probably get most dudes through stuff like this too.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest issue I've found with PS hoses is the tube seizes to the nut. Then you have no choice but to cut or twist the hose off. If you are replacing the hose no big deal, PITA if plan to reuse it.
A good flare wrench set s handy as hell, check the local tools stores ... we have a local store here (Canadian Tire) that has tool sales all the time, lifetime warranty, no questions asked, no brainer!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

The cheapy "found on the bottom of the harbor freight"® tools would probably get most dudes through stuff like this too.
Not when it comes to flare nut wrenches. That's one place where the "I'll use it maybe three times in the next 10 years so I'll get a Cheapo" just does not work.

Most times, if the nut is at all difficult, an El Cheapo flare nut will bend open and round the nut.

Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Replacing power steering hose, need help...