Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain: Fuel System
Print Wikipost

Replacing Fuel filter in 89 XJ

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing Fuel filter in 89 XJ

Hello everyone..

I believe my 89 XJ being starved of fuel.. It seems to have a lack of power at times when driving around town..I'm going to replace the fuel filter today to see if that solves the problem....
As this is my first time doing this, I do not know where the fuel filter is located??? What steps should I take in replacing it??

Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

Its under the rear end driver side. It looks like a little black piece the size of a potato. There is a write up in the Write Ups forum on how to replace the fuel filter. I have done it before on other vehicles. Its very easy just clamp the hoses so you dont get fuel everywhere.

Link is below.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...96-lower-5314/

Last edited by mycherokee; 12-02-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Also, your new fuel filter should have caps over each end. Have those caps ready to put on the old fuel filter once you get it off, there is a surprisingly large ammount of fuel in there and it'll just keep coming out. Those caps should make for a much easier cleanup though. the filter in on the inside of the frame rail, drivers side, in font of the gas tanks, kinda above the rear axle. As stated, it's a little balck cylinder/ barrell shaped object around the size of your average potato.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Alright guys... So i replaced the fuel filter potato... Drove it for a day and it was ok.. Next day I drive it same thing starts happening again... Intermittent lacks of power... Like the car is not getting enough fuel.. Like its starving itself... Then all of a sudden it gets fuel and we take off....

What could it be?? Help plz...

I also changed the spark plugs....

What should I do next??

Thanks..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

did you look at the fuel that was in the filter? was there any crud in it,like water or bigger particals?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM

I didnt look that close.. But from what i remember it was pretty clean...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

have you checked your fuel pump?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Not yet... How would I check it?? Or should I just go ahead and replace it?

Thanks...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Ok new update on the problem..... Got back in it today and started it right upp... Drove up, down adn alll around my neighborhood... It was constantly cutting the power until it reached about 155 degrees evrything after that was A OK. Drove it all around town and it ran just fine.... Seems that when it gets warm enough, its ok and runs fine....

What can this be??
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Could it be something electrical? I remeber in a previous car, one of my plug wires would work itself off and it would have itermittent power loss, the higher the rpms the better the power. I replaced the plug wires from a u pull it and i solved the problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Nice... So I will try replacing the plug wires..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

if you replace the wires you might as well do a complete tune-up on it,plugs, wires,cap&rotor,and an air filter.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by mike albo
if you replace the wires you might as well do a complete tune-up on it,plugs, wires,cap&rotor,and an air filter.
X2

This would rule out any part of the ignition system as being a source of your problem. Not to mention that it's just a good idea to replace that stuff every once in awhile..
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

And if you're going to be replacing the sparkplugs might aswell get the best bang out of doing it. Gap and index them correctly. Doesn't take that much time and you'll get better fuel milage and better detonation = more hp and better running engine. I'm sure you know what gapping is and indexing simply means making sure the open side of the plug is facing the center of the combustion chamber. They make a kit that makes it pretty simple. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-1001 - it's well worth the extra little bit of time.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM

So new news on the XJ.... Had to drive it to my dads yesterday to get firewood for the below freezing weather, OR is currently experiencing...

I figured out before leaving, that the car will run, but not well after it is warmed up to 155 degrees.. Got it warmed up and drove it the 8o miles to my dads, got firewood and spent the day in central OR.. About 20 miles away from home on the return trip the jeep started really acting up... Lots of power loss. jerking from the engine as if it was once again not getting any fuel.. the more i depressed the throttle the more the jeep struggled...

Any ways I made it home BARELY and parked the jeep in the driveway... Now what do I do??

I was thinking that it might be the throttle position sensor?? Could that explain why the engine is running rich... (I noticed that it was running rich, when i looked at the exhaust on the snow from warming it up, as it wall black)

Or could it be my fuel injectors???

I had a re-built motor put in right before I graduated High School on 04, but I don't believe i had the injectors replaced, so they are the original injectors with 220,000 miles on them...

Any ideas???

Thanks for the help.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel filter in 89 XJ