Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing AC condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Replacing AC condenser?

So the AC in my 98 XJ is useless. I used a cheap re-charge kit which worked for about 5 days before it was blowing hot air again. So obviously I have a leak somewhere. Because I've hit so many things with the front of my Jeep I think it's the condenser (It isn't straight anymore..) but not sure. What's the proper procedure to replace the condenser, I already have one on my parts Jeep that I know works. I'm not sure how in depth this job is. I've read that you need to replace a bunch of other AC components as soon as you open up the system, what are they? I want to make this a DIY job since I can't afford the mechanic's labor. Any special tools I'll need to rent from the local autozone or whatever?

Any help is much appreciated, AC systems are not my forte

Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

First off just in case there is anything left in the system your going to want to take it somewhere and have it drained. As for replacing things after opened I replaced the compressor on my durango about a year ago after it seized up and only replaced the dryer for good measure. You want to make sure to add some pag oil and have a vacuum pulled on the system after its all back together before you charge it again and you should be golden.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Ok so after watching a few youtube videos I think I have it figured out. I'm going to try and rent manifold gauges and a vacuum pump from the local parts store, and I might replace my shrader valves too for good measure. I watched this video here which really helped in understanding how to put a vacuum on the system and properly recharge it.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

My 1996 takes 1.25 pounds of refrigerant to recharge. Find out what yours is.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Whatever you do. Make sure that you don't skip having a vacuum pulled on the system once you get it back together or you may be changing out the compressor in the near future. Not pulling the vacuum can cause the compressor to seize up after a short time. I made that mistake when I was 16 and never forgot to pull the vacuum again.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:57 AM

Thankfully autozone had the vacuum pump and a brand new set of manifold gauges for me to rent. But after switching out the condenser and the shrader valves the system still will not hold a vacuum so I'll probably just be without AC for a while longer unless I do some more in depth leak detection.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:20 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

you can pull a vacuum on it again and put a bottle of uv dye in it. buy a pair of those fancy glasses and it will show you were the leak is. itl show bright green and if youl get it somewhere its not suppose to be the dye washes off with soapy water. the dye is pretty cheap and so are the glasses. you also may want to replace your accumulator while your at it if it is old. The old accumulator will have no desiccant (those silica drying beads) left (possibly).
Old 07-28-2015, 01:05 PM

I just did this about 3 weeks ago on my 95 XJ. Ordered a replacement condenser and 2 new lines (both coming from condenser). Then had the a/c re-charged and now it works and blows cold air. Sometimes old rusty lines leak and seize. I recommend new lines if they look in bad shape. They are pretty cheap...