Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacement instrument panel bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacement instrument panel bulbs

Howdy - After successfully (finally) replacing the idiot light instrument panel with one with real gauges, I found most lights were blown. Pulled the gauge panel, whipped out the offending lights (all of them) and found out that nobody including the dealer has FWG 103 bulbs (1.4-1.7W). The closest I came to matching size and shape was a LL24 but the wattage is higher, about 3.3W. Can I use them? What have y'all replaced your "stock" bulbs with and how have they worked out? Not into colors, just white. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm in the process of converting all bulbs to LEDs. I haven't done the instruments yet but I know that LEDs are available. I'm using Superbrite LED but there are a number of sources online
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

^X2 Yeah, now would be a good time to upgrade to LEDs

By the way be careful on what LEDs are ordered from Superbrite.
I ordered one LED from them for the cruise light which i had to replace a few times because the old bulbs kept burning out.
That LED i ordered from Superbrite was SUPER BRIGHT! So much so it was extremely annoying even in the daytime.
Had to paint the tip to calm it down.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with "now's the time" and I've noticed a lot of ads for LED's. The wattage issue is the thing that worries me, don't want to melt anything. All the little "indicator" lights are good, it's the five larger ones. You both mentioned Superbrite... anyone else have any other suggestions? Mo, you said you replaced the cruise light LED a few times, don't really want to do that. Trying to replace and forget. I noticed also that with the three dash panels I have, including the idiot one that came with the car, all the large bulbs had a blue sleeve over the bulb... that stock?